We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

After New Year the BTS fares increased more than 20% at least on the longer rides: a trip that cost about 40 baht is now about 50 baht. As a result, the minimum 100 baht top-up won't take you very far. I was caught by this change and I was at first totally baffled why my loaded credit was not enough to exit the station.

If you intend to use the BTS more than a little it may be a good idea to top up at least 200 baht each time. This fare increase also means that taxis are even more price-competitive than before. If two people are riding, a taxi is most probably cheaper than BTS. However, a taxi may get badly stuck in traffic jams, so you risk the travel time being much longer than on the BTS.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

Are you referring to the Rabbit card?

In which case, fares increased in June 2013, but Rabbit card holders were charged the old fares until 31st December. In fact, I've just seen that from January 1st there are still promotional fares for Rabbit users that are 1 baht cheaper than cash fares. Also, the promotional reduction in the administration fee (150 baht down to 50 baht) has been extended to 31st December 2014.

bts.co.th/_admin/uploadfiles/files/432.jpg

bts.co.th/customer/en/images/TicketType.jpg

What has happened is that the 10 baht increase on the Silom extension between Phi Nimit and Bang Wa has come into force, pushing up what was a max 40 baht fare (on Rabbit) to 51. For the Sukhumvit extension (Bang Chak to Bearing) I don't know if Rabbit users had that additional 10 baht charged before 12/31/13 or not.

bts.co.th/_admin/uploadfiles/files/439.jpg

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

I noticed from March 2013 to November 2013 the fares had gone up for the longer journeys. I regularly go from Wongwian Yai to Victory Monument and that fare had increased in November from 40 to 42 Baht. According to the chart I'm looking at its still 42 Baht.

I see the temp free shuttle from Wongwian Yai to Talat Phlu is no longer free. So I take it the S line is now fully operational to Bang Wa.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

roverEngland,

Here are the current prices vs the old (pre-June 2013) fares for the BTS.

https:/…692_581929665163475_123085641_n.jpg

The fare increase was 2 to 7 baht depending on the number of stops. Rabbit card users (me included) paid the old fares until 31/12/13. Rabbit users now pay 1 baht less than the (new) cash fares on all journeys.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

Thanks for this USBT and you are stop on with your post #2. Its also brought to my attention the opening of further BTS stops beyond Talat Phlu to Bang Wa which happened last month

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

One thing I noticed last time I was there was that with the new fares the queues/lines at the ticket machines were **much** longer. The old fares required only 5bt and 10bt coins but now people were faffing about trying to recognize the 1bt coins in their pockets to make up the 22, 28, 31, 37 and 42 baht fares (most BTS ticket machines are exact change only).

Definitely worth getting either a Rabbit card (especially with the non refundable fee discounted to 50bt from 150), or a BTS day card for 130 baht. Even if you spend more it's worth it as you save a lot of time avoiding the lines at the ticket machines.

For 1-2 days I'd go one day pass. For 3 or more, or if you plan to return I'd go Rabbit (the card is valid for 5 years).

Edited: 23 January 2014, 05:26
6. Re: BTS more expensive since New Year 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:23