We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2016, 00:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

Impossible to say what will happen if election happens.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

I find it hard to believe they would close the market. Find out where the polling station is and plan your route.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

I agree and though I've been telling everyone to come here without concern, it probably culminates this weekend and especially Sunday -- that's the one day to be more alert than usual. Stuff is almost certain to go down it's just not clear how much and what.

The latest is that it looks like the elections are going forward even though all the Bangkok election commissioners resigned today.

Again though, Thais don't want to involve foreigners and this is basically a battle between rival political groups. And I can't see these groups having any reason to go into chatuchak.

Otherwise everyone just says the protests are like a music festival 50% full of vendors selling t-shirts.

But don't a wear a protest shirt while here.

San Diego
Level Contributor
347 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

We were at the market last Sunday. There were no protesters anywhere near there. However, it will depend on where you are coming from and what happens with the election.

Jim

5. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 19:05
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

Ignore Kellysue - troll post

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

kelleysue may be a one time visitor. the traffic has been getting silly the past three years so that's nothing new. taking two hours to reach her hotel is probably an exaggeration. been here through so many different events and never spent 2 hours in a taxi unless I was floating that to go to Pattaya missing the great bus discount.

I'm sure people would like to hear more on shopping and market shutdowns. I have heard of nothing and everything is open in my area. there was an incident at JJ yesterday worth notice, not sure if it made the news. not directed towards tourists. be safe.

Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

I actually visit bangkok regularly for work and am very experienced with this city,

Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

Also if you did know anything about what was happening here you would know that the protesters have released a plan for the areas they are shutting down before Sunday and have started to do so. 10,000 police are arriving in bangkok today so if that is not an indication of the situations then I don't know what is...I'm just saying thy from all my visits here this I has been the most limited one as it's hard to get around and do stuff....

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can I still go Chatuchak Market this Sunday?

I live here and and the only thing I know is best to stay away.common sense I really don't have but choose to use it sometimes. also get what ur saying about getting around but if your really experienced u would know how to move about easier with other modes or other routes. maybe that's not possible for you. please keep reporting but ur post is gone now and believe u were talking about two hour taxi and most markets were shut down. as for 10,000 police I just read that in another post. in my 8 years here I still don't know whats happening. up to date us on the markets if you can.