We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok at xmas

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
bangkok at xmas

has anyone spent several days as theior main trip in Bangkok in particular over xmas. I love the river hotels and they are worth the money but would you stay in Bangkok for a p[period of say 8 days

im thinking ,mandarin oriental, Shangri ;a peninsula having stayed at all before.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangkok at xmas

Why not split Bangkok with Chiang Mai.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,837 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bangkok at xmas

I could (and have on many occasions) easily spend 8 days in Bangkok at any time of the year but I must admit I prefer to break it up with a night or 2 somewhere quieter like Hua Hin or Ayutthaya in the middle if that is possible.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bangkok at xmas

I love Bangkok and have spent a lot of time there over the years, but it's not exactly beautiful compared to other places in Thailand. If it was me, I'd definitely split the time with somewhere else.

London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bangkok at xmas

ok. really should I dip my my feet in the sea and Phuket and khao lao silly prices ,otherwise should we just head too pattaya

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bangkok at xmas

Christmas in Bangkok is set up so well, the hype, the shopping, the decorations and then comes Christmas Eve and Christmas day. rather boring so its best to make the best of it with who your with. Christmas dinners here get booked up for the high end spots. same as new years if that goes along with your 8 days. of course NYE everyone is partaking and it gets really crowded and hard to move around so I would suggest a NYE dinner/party at a hotel close by or where ur staying. BTS nightmare this night.

I've done three years here during this season and prefer my original home. as for savings, ahhh yeah its been much easier here, no gifts. not sure where I will stay next year holiday season but probably the states, since the feeling is better surrounded with loved ones who celebrate. you will be able to make friends easy in bars and restaurants. one year we did a wine tasting for Christmas and that was close to home as we got.

London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bangkok at xmas

is hua hin nice always look industirual , so would do mandarin 5 nights and beach for 10 arriving on the 19th dec

hua hin apart from antaraa looks crapi

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,837 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bangkok at xmas

Hua hin is a nice laid back town with lots of nice restaurants and bars and a busy night market, the beach and sea are not the greatest to be found in Thailand but IMHO are considerably better than Pattaya. If you are looking for a 'party town' though Pattaya might be the better choice.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bangkok at xmas

Pattaya is very conveniently located as it is just an hour and a half by bus or taxi from Bangkok. Depending on what you like or dislike, there are girly bars everywhere, no getting away from them! However there are nice hotels, great restaraunts and loads of activities to do. The beaches aren't as nice as other parts of Thailand. Pattaya beach is completely covered in deck chairs, with umbrellas covering them, keeping the sun away,but you can move the chair out of the shade if you want. However it can be a nice place to relax as you can order food and drinks from your chair. You can even do your shopping while you sit as vendors walk by selling all sorts of souveniers, ice cream and even sea food. The water is not the cleanest though. Jomtien beach is similar but the water is cleaner. I think the nicest beach is wang amat beach as it's not taken over by deck chairs and is more chilled out.

If you don't have a lot of time, I'd go to pattaya from Bangkok as long as you can handle the fact that there are girly bars everywhere. Yes nicer beaches are to be found elsewhere in Thailand but you'll lose time travelling.

Make sure you book a hotel in advance as pattaya gets very busy at Christmas.

9. Re: bangkok at xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:18