We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy cameras?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
where to buy cameras?

My teenage son is doing photography for his final year in High School, I am hoping to buy a reasonably priced camera for him. We were thinking Cannon Eous as its quite user friendly, is one mall more geared to this type of shops than others?

I have tried to reasearch on TA but found it all very conflicting,I'm hoping people living in BKK would know the direction to steer my husband and myself to.

Thank you for your time Romi....

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy cameras?

If having a warranty that you may potentially utilize in Australia is important, buy it there. Canon's may not xfer from Thailand to Aust.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy cameras?

Thank you ter1413 I actually did not think of that good point!

Romi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy cameras?

Still though is there a mall which specializes in these areas?

Cheers

My husband would still like to browse around this type of techno mall...

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy cameras?

Hi

Romi why don't you buy it from Australia within 30 days time frames prior to departures to Thailand. You then can claims tax back at the airport. We have been doing this for many years for camera, phone. In this case you still have Australian warrantees.

Good luck

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy cameras?

If you despite the previous caveats want to buy in Bangkok, the Fortune Town mall next to the exit 1 of the Phra Ram 9 MRT (subway) station has many camera shops. However, I do not know if all the shops can provide you with the tax refund forms since we bought a camera that was going to remain in Thailand with my wife.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to buy cameras?

Of course Duty Free here at home, I am hearing these warnings. Hubby loves all technology so he would enjoy a browse at a mall like this. Think I will grab the camera from duty free in China town Sydney, knowing him he will be off buying some gadget to play with in Bangkok, ill tell him about Fortune Town as well, thaks for the tips, love trip advisor.......

Romi

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to buy cameras?

Fortunetown is the spot for gadgets, camera or otherwise.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to buy cameras?

There are many photo shops in Bangkok, most only selling new equipment, but some carrying used stuff. The warranty issue is important. Thailand has "globally competitive" pricing on cameras. For the visitor, that could mean a VAT refund, if you do things correctly at purchase time and at exit through the airport. For anyone, that could mean good promotions (or not) at any particular time. Good sales staff exist in Bangkok. But also in Sydney. And the Web is your friend in advance researching (which, apparently, you are doing).

Personally, most photo stuff that I have purchased in Bangkok has been purchased at MBK, Panthip Plaza, and at IT City (a chain) in more than one branch. It might be worth browsing places noted on these replies for extras - but I agree with others that you should probably try to find a good price near to home.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to buy cameras?

Thank you

Much appreciated

Romi :)

10. Re: where to buy cameras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20