We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
793 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

I just came across an app called GrabTaxi, which allows you to enter starting and ending points, then request a taxi. Has anyone tried it? if so, is it reliable and a taxi actually shows up?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

I couldnt get the app to work. It couldnt find location or destination.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

That part is working for me. It's finding my location and then when I select the starting location, it's dropping down a list of nearby places, although many are in Thai. Just for a test, I typed in 'Suvarnabhumi", and it gave me a list of locations, including the airport.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

It may be worth a try to order a taxi when you are not pressed for time just to see if one would actually arrive. I would not rely on it. In Singapore I would.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

GrabTaxi works in Bangkok. If you have any issues, you can contact the 24-hour customer service centre at +66924034354 or +66805514873- they provide assistance in English or Thai. They can also help translate with the taxi driver, if needed, and can do advanced bookings as well.

All GrabTaxi drivers must use the meter and you get all the info of the driver for safety via the app.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

My issue is that your system couldnt find St Louis Hosp. or All Seasons Place. It is actually quicker to just hail a cab. The app. IMHO isnt user friendly. I have uninstalled the app.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 23:18
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

There are several regular (including gratis) phone numbers for booking taxis. This app seems to add little value, and considerable potential negative value (e.g. privacy or more). When I book a taxi I tend to use a freephone number, called from a land line.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

Despite my initial rejection I have given Grabtaxi a try this morning. It worked very well.

For advance booking you need to book an hour before your dep.

I booked "now". They located a taxi to come, I was told how long it would take to arrive, the driver called to confirm. You receive an sms giving you car and driver info. Surcharge is 25 Bht. I was happy with the service. Will use it again. Driver was polite, car was clean, meter gets turned on. Perhaps tourists who have the flat rate argument with drivers should consider the taxi service.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2 posts
544 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

I have uninstalled it as I was having problems with inputting the password or something. I have since tried another app called Easy Taxi instead. The only time I used it was getting to the airport about two weeks ago. It worked brilliantly and I am impressed. As for Grab Taxi, I may redownload it but I am not holding my breath.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

Never really have a problem getting a taxi in bkk, or places i need one in thailand. and 25 baht charge, for my usual less than 100 baht fare seems high. didn't download or test, but would think by the time i go thru the motions of the app, i could simply flag a taxi.

good if not staying near a main rd, but wouldn't really book something that far off the main rd.

saying all that, do see where it would be useful, if working. bts/mrt kind of family anyway. self drive, but use taxis when needed in bkk, less stressful and don't need the hassle of an accident when on holiday.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GrabTaxi iPhone app - anyone tried it?

Following my recent enthusiasm I cant get a reaction out of it now. I request a car, it tells me how many are in my area. Nothing more after this. No reaction from GrabTaxi. I first prebooked one well in advance. Nothing. Later on I booked one for "now". No response.

I agree, the app. is too involved to use when you stand on the side of the road.

Will have a look at an alternative.