We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

Want to fly out of Orlando to Bangkok. Can't decide on United with Air China or Delta. Any sugestions?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

What are your criteria? Just pick what suits you best.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

Delta.

But what are the $$ difference on each?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

United will discontinue their service to BKK next month after 28 years.

One idea might be to buy a ticket to a west coast gateway city such as LAX or SFO, and then buy a ticket onward, as you will have many more choices. Air China would be close to the bottom of my list.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

Flown United. It was actually ok. It was Toronto, Chicago, Tokyo, Bangkok. Service was as expected given what I paid, food was edible, seats were ok so no complains from me.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

If you ask that question I assume you aren't heavily vested into any particular airline's frequent flier program. BTW, it's good to join the one for the airline you select, before you fly. You would have almost enough frequent flier miles after that trip for a free domestic trip. Or maybe more than enough if they run an enlistment or other bonus.

As was noted, United is discontinuing its own flight - the leg between Tokyo and Bangkok. But (not as noted) it is offering code shares to Bangkok using ANA's flight. That could be slightly better for you, as ANA is a better airline than either United or Delta. Much nicer service on board.

Generally, Delta and United are both rated by Skytrax as 3-star airlines. That means that their relative pros and cons tend to balance out. And, by global standards, there are better (4- and 5-star) and worse (2-star) options. Airline ratings don't always indicate higher or lower fares..

When I did a test booking for November-December, Delta led with $1330. A United and Air China combination offered $1339. For May-June prices were about $450 higher per person, with the winning offering a pairing of United, Air Canada, and Thai Airways. I prefer Star Alliance (United, Air Canada, Thai, Air China and other ) Star Alliance frequent flier miles to Delta's SkyTeam miles. But, of course, "your mileage may vary."

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

What is BTW? Never logged any miles accept with Southwest. Thanks, I'll check that out. Looked at Virgin Air from Orlando to LAX and fly out next morning. Looking into ANA after reading your post.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

BTW stands for "by the way". You will see those initials in many posts and not just on Tripadvisor. I hope you enjoy your long trip to Bangkok. Personally, I try to avoid flying on any American airline as I have found their "service" to range between unacceptable to atrocious.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,017 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

If you only intend to fly once then go with price and convenience. I fly often and use the same airline all the time to accrue frequent flyer miles for free flights and upgrades and other perks. I inherited Delta when they bought out Northwest. I have no big problem with Delta.

If price is about the same look at the arrival time for Bangkok. Delta arrives around midnight. This means fewer cheap transportation choices from the airport and you pay full price for your hotel room but only use it for half the time. For arrival in a foreign country for the first time my preference is to arrive during day hours or at least early evening.

When my Delta flight had a booking problem they switched me to Cathay from JFK. They were pretty good and got to Bangkok 3 or 4 hours earlier than Delta.

Up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Boston
Level Contributor
74 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

Just got home from flying United ( Bos-Chicago-Tokyo-Bangkok} and back. Yes I was in economy and I can tell you the seats were tight and cramped and the food was really inedible...I know airlines take a bad rap for the food, and I have never complained because you are 30,000 feet in the air...however, this food they served was garbage!!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airline from Orlando to Thailand

When I first start planning a trip I look at 3rd party information and booking sites, such as ITASoftware's Matrix, Travelocity and Orbitz. I use them mainly for information, then book on airline Websites. However, I am not against using the independents, as they often assemble interesting combinations using multiple airlines, not always possible from the airlines. (Just read up on any particular independent, such as Orbitz, before you use it - as the "fine print" for each Website can be a bit different.)

For example, United-United-Asiana-Asiana-United-United between Greenville SC - Bangkok - Greenville - "discovered" for me one time by Orbitz. (I would have preferred Asheville NC, but Greenville was cheaper than both Asheville and Charlotte. So I did 1-way car rentals without one-way dropoff charges between Asheville and Greenville and return "discovered" by Travelocity, to save big on airfare and car rental. Renting the car saved me big parking fees incurred if I had driven and parked my own car for the lengthy time away, and started the trip as a "driving vacation" in a "new car.") Those "discoveries" from such airline-independent sites are often very useful. They got me Star Alliance frequent flier miles (I also use Delta and SkyTeam, but they are secondary in my particular case - Delta or American may be better for you, for their Atlanta&MinneapolisStPaul and Miami hubs, respectively), and flights on better airlines than the (increasingly unfriendly-to-the-non-elite-flier) North American carriers. And big savings. And the drive between Asheville and Greenville is very pleasant, and relatively short.

Many people like ITASoftware's Matrix flight search engine for its user-helpful options. For example, I can do a single search using optional departure/return points and destinations. In your case, that could mean Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale for departure/return, and Bangkok, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur as destinations. I have saved small bundles going to Bangkok but returning from Singapore (when Matrix showed me that such a routing was the cheapest for a given time period). Adding a $100 connection between Bangkok and Singapore on (for example) Air Asia or Cathay Pacific, gets me two great destinations in one trip. Similarly, you might find that Miami might be so much cheaper than Orlando, that you will happily find your way to Miami airport to save that money - as I did for Greenville instead of Asheville in the example noted above.

BTW (now that someone "interpreted" 'BTW' for you quicker than I could), I checked the routes out of curiosity. Sometimes, from the "east coast", a trans-Atlantic route can be cheaper than trans-Pacific or over-the-pole. Airlines like Emirates can sometimes deliver good times and prices. But, for the last few years, over-the-pole (like Chicago to Hong Kong to Singapore) have often been the best routings for me - for cost-schedule-frequent flier miles between North America and SE Asia even though I don't live near Chicago.

I just tried another trial booking on Matrix over a May-June period. And, indeed, this time it came up with cheaper fares between Miami and Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore via Qatar Airways or Lufthansa by flying trans-Atlantic. The best offer by a US airline started with American between Miami and Paris (for $580 more per person). United and Delta were both ridiculous on the days I checked. So - the details depend heavily on your proposed travel dates, and how flexible you might be on routing. As I am equally "at home" in Thailand, Singapore, and Malaysia (and was in all three countries last year - and expect to be again this year), I may be more willing to "go with the flow" of the marketplace in accepting price offers by the airlines. If your hearts are set on Thailand for your upcoming trip, those may be irrelevant details for you.

Using such Web tools as ITASoftware's Matrix, Travelocity-Expedia-Orbitz may also be tedious. Especially when trying them for the first time. But, for possible savings of $500 per person - could it be useful? Even interesting? For some folks, you bet!

BTW, as Infidelal noted, Delta arrives in Bangkok about midnight. Same for United. They both also depart for their return trips about sunrise. For both airlines, for arrival and departure, the airport rail link is not usable - as it does not operate between about midnight and 6AM. Between midnight and 6AM taxis may be slightly more tempted to play games with tourists {such as trying to extract a higher negotiated fixed fare than the meter would give you - remembering that negotiated fares are illegal scams as using the meter is required}.

In the sample search that I just did, the best-priced flights on Qatar Airways used a Miami-Qatar-Bangkok routing with the following timings: 9AM Miami - 6:30PM Qatar - 730AM Bangkok and returning 230AM Bangkok - 6AM Qatar - 520PM Miami which seem pretty good to me. Lufthansa charged only a bit more, and offered Orlando departures, via Frankfurt to Bangkok - on roughly similar schedules. Arriving in Bangkok at sunrise gives you a choice between a daytime taxi ride and the airport rail link. Similarly for a late-night departure, you could take either rail or taxi to arrive at the airport by midnight. If there is any inconvenience, it's that a 730AM arrival in Bangkok might put you at your hotel about 930AM, too early to check in unless they can **very** nicely give you a room that early. And that you would normally have to check out of your hotel at midday, which would give you about 12 hours between hotel checkout and flight check-in.

Details, details. But, of course, you may decide that those details that that some folks "like" to be aware of and deal with, are inconvenient for you. Whatever you choose, have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok