We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Hello All,

I just wanting to share my experiences to get taxi in Bangkok. We went to Bangkok on 27/02/2014 – 29/02/2014 for family holiday. Prior to travelling to Bangkok, I did a lot of reviews from internet. Most travel experts say DO and DON’T to get taxi in Bangkok. So now my brain is already full with the advices from the experts. On 27/02/2014, landed in Don Meuang Bangkok, we took luxury airport taxi ( cost me BHT 850) instead of normal airport taxi, got to the hotel, had a yummy pad thai for dinner, rest and relax. I was quite happy with day 1.

Next day, my destination was Grand Palace and What Po. Now I tried to practice how get taxi in Bangkok. I did DON’T first : don’t take taxi from the hotel because very expensive (BHT700, one way), I don’t take standby taxi outside of the hotel, I don’t accept offer from someone, then no fixed price. So I stopped taxi on the road and insisted use “metered”, driver was ok, I was so happy because I did it. Open door was already BHT 35 ( I think this is for the first 5 km) . Distance my hotel to destination 9 km, so in my brain, this taxi will cost me between BHT 50 to BHT60. I got to the taxi, then taxi driver started driving around – around from main road to small road to main road again, at the end of journey, it took 40 minutes for 9 km trip and cost me BHT100, so this is my first scam from taxi driver.

I decided to take sky train and subway during holiday in Bangkok

At the end of holiday in Bangkok, I have a lot of luggages (4 of us) need to go to Suvarnabumi Airport. I asked Hotel front desk, they offered me BHT3200, to the airport. To avoid big scam, I decided to take train from Phaya thai Station to the airport, but I still need taxi, from hotel to the station ( distance 4 km) , I willing to take little bit scam from the driver. I got the taxi. Taxi driver took me to the main road to highway, turn around back to main road drive to small road then got to phaya thai station , so for 4 km distance, it took 1 hour and cost me BHT130 plus BHT50 for highway.

I tried to speak to the driver but he speak thai only, + word “traffic..Traffic”

Above all, during my experiences with the taxi in Bangkok, I got scam BHT 150 (AUD6) which is still acceptable.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Frogman,

Enjoyed your comments. Yes there are so many problems that you can have using taxis. It happens to us all at some time plus a few more scams.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Flag fall of 35 baht includes 2km, not 5km. You also pay for sitting in traffic, not just the distance travelled.

Doesn't seem like you were scammed at all.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Now that you've sorted out your do do's from your don’t don’ts you'll be less likely to put your foot in it next time you visit.

Have fun

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Traffic was fine, we were moving all the time. And also I lived in jakarta long time so I know which one traffic or tried to keep the trip longer

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,798 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

I don't think the first instance was any kind of scam. Depending on where you started out (you don't say) and traffic conditions, it should have cost between 75 and 100, maybe 120 baht if there was a lot of standing still. Drivers often go a few km out of their way to avoid traffic snarls.

The second one, it's really hard to tell without knowing where you're starting from and what time of day. But generally, drivers DON'T keep you in the cab and drive around for an hour just to run up the meter. Think it through. In that space of time, he could have made 4 short trips of 60 baht and earned more money with less fuel cost. But it does sound strange if he had to go on the tollway to get you from your hotel to Phaya Thai. For another 100 baht (much less than the cost for 4 people to take the ARL train), he could have taken you all the way to the airport.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Maybe you " … were moving all the time" because he kept taking detours to avoid traffic.. Happens all the time.

Assuming you aren't all that familiar with the traffic patterns, current situation, and other nuances, this may not have been a scam, at all.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

You said you took advise from here about Taxi's but you still took a luxury airport taxi which are a scam. One thing i say to newcomers is stay away from the airport taxi's inside and go out side for a public taxi.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

hi Jimthai,

luxury airport taxi is fine, and good , even cheaper than online airport transfer. the luxury airport taxi is also fixed price ( BHT800) and paid in counter. I took the luxury airport taxi because long queue in normal taxi. only with normal taxi was bit suspicious

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Thanks for posting your experience which all in all wasn't bad but in any case I would have got a taxi to the airport even if they didn't use the metre the most would have been 500 baht.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi in bangkok ( Shared Experiences)

Chrella, I thought so , i can take taxi to the airport for BHT 500 but I just so worried. I also agree with you my experiences wasn"t bad, even not bad at all. I willing to give extra money if the taxi driver took "right way". but I love bangkok , good people, a lot of smile ( not like in singapore...) . good food too