We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Well folks after years of not inflicting the 150 baht ATM fee on every one bad news today that Aeon have now officially implemented the charge into their ATM system with immediate effect!It was good while it lasted but alas a freebie no more!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Last weekend it hadn't happened. But, yesterday, the reports started coming in.

Will have to see, next withdrawal.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Its on their screen now when you go to make a withdrawal..the dreaded 150 baht fee shows up!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Aeon, or some other outfit, should sell "memberships" to reduce or eliminate the per-transaction fee. A possible business proposition for some ATM operator?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Like all banks, their "members" use their ATMs free. Unfortunately, foreign currency exchange fees will apply when transferring offshore funds into the AEON account.

There was really no benefit, other than possible "PR", to them not charging the fee.

For me, the bad news is the 150 pop. But, the good news is that I will no longer need to use specific machines.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Damn it. Just as I'm half way into my journey. Should only need 1 withdrawal when I hit koh samui though. Other withdrawal will be in siem reap and see there are a few free atm's about there

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,735 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Just for clarification if you had an AEON bank account, presumably like other Thai banks they would issue you with one of their debit cards. Does the charge apply when you use this?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Most banks, that I know of, don't charge for members to use that bank's ATM card in that bank's ATMs. If it does, it is definitely time to change banks!

However, when traveling, few "home" banks will have overseas branches / ATM machines.

BTW, most Thai banks will allow a set number of another ATM withdrawals by a different Thai bank's member's card. After that number is exceeded. However, compared to the "foreign bank ATM card" fee, the charge is nominal, 10~15 baht.

Once again, welcome to Thailand!

Mentioned in this post
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,735 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Thanks for the clarification and the welcome albeit we've been here nearly 3 months so far this time. :-)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

"Welcome to Thailand" is my " TIT ".

Mentioned in this post
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,735 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aeon Bank Intoduce 150 baht ATM Fees!

Ah well, I'll take it in the spirit it was meant to others.