We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
353 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Hi Everyone,

Our plane arrives at BKK from Trat at 2:10pm and I would like to go into Bangkok on the city train, shop for a few gifts and be back to the airport by 5 or 6 pm. Is this doable? I've been bad and haven't bought any gifts for family and will be on Koh Kood where there's no shopping until we leave!

Also, a related question - can anyone suggest a shop or area where I could find high quality crafts (especially textiles) that is very close to where I could get to conveniently on the city train/sky train?

Thank you!

Edited: 15 February 2014, 09:21
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,075 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Hi,

Not doable within the time that you have. You will be able to buy some gifts at the airport though.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,518 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

What is your flight departure time from BKK? By the time you collect your luggage after your Trat flight, it is going to be 3pm (if no queues). Allow a maximum 2 hours round trip into the city, depending on which part, time to deposit and collect left luggage, assuming you are not taking it into the city with you (unless you have only carry on), 2 hours minimum to clear security and Immigration before your flight and I would say no time for shopping in Bangkok at all.

There is a Jim Thomson shop in the airport for high quality textiles and crafts.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
353 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Both of you - thank you very much for your replies. I don't want to end an otherwise wonderful and relaxing vacation by a frantic rush to buy gifts. I will either shop in the airport or arrive home gift-less. I'm never sure if they really like my gifts anyway!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

You can also fly to Bangkok a day earlier too.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

I agree not enough time but Arandora's suggestion of Jim Thomson's might save the day. Its not cheap but amazing quality, I guess it depends what you want to spend on gifts. As an idea I bought a beautiful quality T shirt with a very unigue print on it for around $20 AU at the Koh Samui airport shop. A lot I know when compared to the usual T shirts but I have washed and washed it and its still in amazing condition..worth the money.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Hi, there are a lot of shops at the airport including the amazing Thailand shops where they only sell Thai products and you can't go wrong with Jim thompson gifts, you'll be able to get all you need there, no need to go into Bangkok.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
353 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Those are great suggestions, thank you. I have some extra time at the airport and I will use it to select a couple gifts. I looked up Jim Thompson's shops and it says there is one in Don Mueng airport but no mention of one in Suvarnabhumi.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

For children, lovely silky elephants from 'Amazing Thailand' shop. For ladies, real silk elephants that come in their own little silk bags from Jim Thompson's, or boxed up, ready to travel orchids from all the florist shops at the airport. For men.........?

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Oh, I forgot, there is a Jim Thompson's at Suvarnabhumi.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
353 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 hours enough time to go into Bangkok,shop and return?

Thanks!