We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is luang prabang worth the trip

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is luang prabang worth the trip

from Thailand or are they much the same?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

Well, Thailand is a country whereas Luang Prabang is a city in Lao. If I were you, I would do a bit of research here on TA or the rest of the web and then ask the question again a bit differently. I enjoyed LP very much a few years ago, and I enjoy Thailand as well, but I recommend doing the homework to see if LP is your cup of tea.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 01:23
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

Yes for me.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

I DO know that :) At the moment we are looking at Bkok, Chiang Mai and an island...was just wondering if worth a flight to Luang Prahbang and if it's much different to what we would see in Thailand and we have been to Burma so have seen lots of Buddhist temples before...time and cash considerations don't want to be too rushed, thanks for replying

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

Is it very different from Thailand, we are going to bkok chiang mai and an island and have also been to burma so seen lots of temples...what did you like and why do you recommend it, thanks for replying

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

I found it very different from anywhere I've been in Thailand. Very sleepy and serene. None of the hustle and bustle you get in most of the tourist destinations in Thailand. I thought it might be something like Chiang Mai but it was much smaller and, well.......sleepy! More expensive for comparative accommodation and food, although still reasonable by western standards. Flights aren't cheap.

I spent a week in L.P. which I found too long and would have been happy with 2-3 days. You don't say how long you've got - if it's only 2-3 weeks then I'd enjoy Thailand. If you've got the time then it's a pleasant destination.

Trisha

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

Thanks can put that idea away then Burma sleepy too

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

Luang Prabang is entirely different to Thailand and, I would imagine Burma. A lot of what makes it so charming is the mixture of Lao traditional and European (french colonial) architecture and culture. It is a very relaxed place, but it is not all about temples. The image I have of Burma is lots of beautiful old temples; those in LP are of a different style and there are not that many. A lot of monks, sure, but only a few temples. It is the laneways and cafes and little shops, and the situation between two rivers that make it so lovely. We spent five nights there and could have spent longer, and will certainly go back.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

When I was LP last year I had an awesome early morning trip down the Mekong river to some Buddha caves. This was part of a 12 day motor bike tour of Laos. The boat trip alone made it worth while for me, but as far as what you will see and what culture is available very similar to Thailand.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

We just got back from Koh Samui, BKK,Luang Prabang & Hong Kong! 1 week was spent in and around Luang Prabang! Very different than Thailand! May I recommend Nam Ou Riverside Resort for a few nights, it is 40 minutes drive from Luang Prabang but a absolutely fantastic! From there u can do a boat ride to the caves, elephant riding, trekking! It's surrounded by small villages & are large cottage/chalet type accommodations on the river with mountains in the background! Just beautiful, with an amazing infinity pool! I wish we had more than 2 nights! For the next 5 we stayed at My Dream Boutique Resort in Luang Prabang and it was really nice also we rode bikes every morning. Did a sunset cruise on the Mekong. Cooking Classes at Tamarind, market every evening & just roamed about and did sightseeing around town every day. And lots of R & R at the lush property!! 5 nights was perfect in Luang Prabang! It was one of our best holidays in awhile! My only regret is we cancelled our first 3 nights in BKK and stayed only 1 on the way to HKG due to the protests but wished we had more time as BKK Is great city to explore & we hadn't been there in quite a few years! Hope this helps :)

10. Re: is luang prabang worth the trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:19