We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 day exemption waivers.

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
30 day exemption waivers.

Does anyone know if you need to show proof of onward travel when getting the 30 day waiver at the air[port in Bangkok? I would like to purchase the ticket for the next leg of the journey in Bangkok and do the same when I return to BKK 3 months later. I have done this before but times being what they are and all, I thought I would get the input of those who have traveled more recently. Thanks in advance for any responses. cheers

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

that does sound like something I dont think anyone here would have the experience or background to give you a solid offer. To me, your problem sounds like one that would be dealt with on a situation to situation basis as im sure there is no absolute answer to that question. I would contact you government travel offices and/or one in banngkok.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

The 30 day visa exempt entry requires proof of onward travel within 30 days. Do they ask to see this at Bangkok? Rarely. What does happen often is your airline will ask to see proof and will not let you board without it.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

It is a requirement. BKK immigration will not, most likely, notice.

But, as said, your airline is responsible for insuring that its passengers have all required documents in order, or they face significant penalties.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

Yes you need proof of onward travel within 30 days otherwise your airline can refuse you boarding.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

Yep as stated, its the airlines you have to worry about. I have been asked a few times by various airlines.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

Hi,

As noted it is more likely to be an issue with your airline.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

Contact your airlines as they are the ones that can (and probably will) be the problem. Immigration in BKK is not interested in your onward flight ticket.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

Oops, forgot to add. I have even been refused boarding, had to but an exit ticket on the spot.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,234 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

Yes Mike it's the airlines that do the checking, and in the US they do check. United quizzed me a few years ago when I checked in at PDX, because my return was 32 days after arrival. I showed them my confirmed onward ticket to India on another airline and all was good.

So, best to buy your onward ticket before you leave for Thailand. In your case, with a return three months later, a visa won't be sufficient either as that's only valid for 60 days.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30 day exemption waivers.

You can obtain a two or three entry 60 day Visitors Visa which would cover the return into Bangkok and obviate the problem. Any unexpired portion of a singlec60 day visa lapses after departure.