We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dhaka City...
8 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

I'll land here on 26th Feb at 5.30 PM

We are a family of 5. We're here basically for shopping and I heard that malls are closed after 6PM. Wanted to know what can one typically do here after 6Pm, besides shopping.

Are the malls open here on thursday and friday? especially Platinum fashion mall, Central World, , Siam Paragon, Central World Plaza, Pratunum & MBK? When do these malls typically open and how long do they stay open?

How many of these malls do you think we can cover in 2 days?

PS. Is it cheaper to shop in BKK than at KL? ie for stores like Zara and Topshop?

Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

The large Malls (Paragon, CentralWorld, Siam Discovery, Siam Center, MBK etc) are usually open until 10pm every day.

However, due to the protest sites being located outside malls many have been closing a bit earlier, 6pm if it is a bad day on the streets, but more generally it has been 8pm or 9pm. It have changed week to week, sometimes day to day since 13 Jan.

Platinum shuts at 9pm as a rule but I can't say recently - no protest site outside.

Basically, it will depend on what the situation is next Thursday and Friday. However, you most likely can bank on the places you want to shop at being open until 8 or 9pm. Worst come to worst and they shut early and you nrun out of time, you could BTS & MRT it it to Emporium (BTS Phrom Phrong), Central rama 9 (MRT Rama 9) or Central Latphrao (MRT Phahonyothin) which has a Zara store and probably most suitable for your needs. None of these stores will shut early unless something happens nearby

bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx

Some things are more cheaper than KL , some more expensive on the clothing front. Difficult to generalise. Keep in mind that Zara and H&M stores are considered upscale here when obviously in Europe they are more chain like clothing stores. Zara is generally cheaper in Spain & Portugal than here. My Swedish friends laugh at the fact that H&M is considered so special here...they couldn't believe that Thais lined up in their hundreds when H&M first came to BKK.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

what I've noticed is that MBK shop's are shutting down at 7, about 80% of them. so better here early. Central Lhad Phrao when the protest was here shutdown at 9. I don't see anything closing as early as 6.

the above post reminds me when Krispy Kreme came to town. I was at Paragon by chance and couldn't believe the donut action. easy 300 plus in line.

Dhaka City...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. Besides shopping, what can we do after 6-7pm? Also, the protests don't take place in Siam area, does it? We were planning to take a hotel there, since its closest to the malls and generally considered a safe area.

4. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 18:37
bangkok
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

Usually malls close at 10pm and the protest is ending soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

"Also, the protests don't take place in Siam area, does it? We were planning to take a hotel there, since its closest to the malls and generally considered a safe area."

Yes they do. One of the major sites is at Pathumwan, the intersection of Phaya Thai and Rama 1 rds. Smack bang in the middle of MBK, Siam Discovery, Siam Center and Paragon.

Another major site is at Rachaprasong (the geographical heart of BKK) 700m east of Siam right outside Central World.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

" I don't see anything closing as early as 6.". They all did from Jan 13-15. Then again on Jan 17 when there was a grenade blast during the day, 500m west of MBK. A couple of times in Dec too.

The point is though 8-9pm seems to be the current times for those centers mention it can change depending on the days events. Something happening close by means an earlier closing time for obvious reasons.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,665 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

Hi,

Do read the link below:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c130692/Bangk…

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

after 6-7 if not still shopping you can take in a cinema, find great eats, clubs and bars, rooftop venues to take in the scenery, cultured shows, venture to Khaosan road for people watching, flower market open 24 hours and you will find night markets just about everywhere.

Malmö
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in BKK. Will be here for only 2 days!! Help!!

MBK shopping is too a large degree small one- or two-man stalls, so even if the mall is open, it's not certain every shop is open, especially in the evening.