We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,167 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

We will be in Bangkok for 5 nights in July after a UK trip and thinking of treating my husband to a night in one of the Riverside hotels as his birthday is on the day we arrive. I'm looking at Anatara, Royal Orchid Sheraton and Ramada. We usually stay in much more low key (cheaper) accommodation in Bangkok and have never stayed Riverside, so I want this to be really nice. We want to go to Asiatique in the evening for the birthday dinner, so all have either free shuttle to Asiatique or walking distance (Ramada). Which would you choose for best value, good buffet breakfast and general ambience?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

I've stayed at the Anantara and loved it. The buffet breakfast is amazing and there are free shuttle boats every 15 or 30 minutes ( can't recall, sorry). Huge pool and lovely rooms and grounds. I'll be heading back later this year amend can't wait for the breakfasts!

UK
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

We've stayed at the Anantara Riverside a number of times (over it's numerous name changes since it was the Royal Garden Riverside), and were there a month ago. There is an evening boat shuttle to Asiatique runs every quarter of an hour and takes five minutes. Every half hour there is a boat shuttle that links to Saphan Taksin skytrain station.

Worth getting a river view particularly the refurbished rooms. As stated the buffet breakfast is a good one, one of the best we've had in Thailand.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

Sun bear when you stayed at anantara what was cost of drinks at hotel (approx )

i read that they are expensive ?? Any idea of beer & wine prices

Where staying in April. Did you have or see the Sunday brunch there too?

Thanks

Asia
Level Contributor
87 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

Hi

I have not stayed in the other 2, but have stayed Royal Orchid Sheraton. Loved it. the view is nice, they have their own pier and transport.

But it is not near the BTS

It is a nice place nevertheless.

Bangkok is a great place with many hotels to choose from

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

Hmmm. I would add the Shangri-La to the candidate list, and check for promotions on their own Website plus Agoda and the others. They often have pretty good low-season promos for a hotel that has featured on global top-25 lists. And I would consider the lunch buffet at in-house Angelini for the birthday lunch. (If you do that, it might be worth considering it a place with Italian-themed as well as other foods, rather than a 100% transplant from Italy - and maybe do an advance noon-time walk-through before the big day, to see if it might meet your expectations. For such a transplant, La Piola on Suk Soi 11 might be more appropriate.) I see a reviewer noting that Angelini is currently closed - I trust for a refurb which would not take 6 months to complete..

When we have a special occasion in Bangkok calling for Thai cuisine which is not constrained to the "standards", we would probably first decide between in-town Rosabieng, or out-of-town riverside Suan Thip for that venue. If Suan Thip, we would (1) call ahead to book a riverside table for 2, (2) ensure that the place has not already been booked out for some hi-so wedding or other function, (3) book for 6PM to get the full sunset, (4) depart very early (maybe 4-430PM) by minimal-stop Express Boat to Nonthaburi (or to PakKret if you can), then taxi from there, with Suan Thip's phone number programmed so the taxi driver can get directions for the ride to to the resto in PakKret, (5) bring the mozzie repellent (they can provide candles but our own choices work better for us), and (6) make sure to accept some of the staff recommendations for one or two out-of-the-ordinary menu selections to make the meal more special. Like our in-town fave Rosabieng, some menu items are fairly ordinary, but some others are rather beyond the ordinary..

http://www.suanthip.com/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g735212-d1…

UK
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

Smiley,

Food and drink can be expensive at the Anantara. Did not take much notice of wine prices but draughtChang was being offered at 150 baht in certain parts of the hotel. Cocktails we had one evening were in the region of 250 baht and don't forget service and tax will be added to these prices.

It might be worth looking into club upgrades..it wouldn't take too many drinks to justify the cost of the upgrade. Having said that the frequency of the shuttle to asiatique in the evening almost made it feel like an extension of the hotel, if you wanted to pop over for a cheaper food and drink option.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
56 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

We stayed at the Anantara this month and loved the pool. There is a free ferry to the Asiatique. We prefer the street food and you can find several of those out behind Asiatique. There is also a free ferry that drops you off across the river at the train station. Very good service, hotel is a little worn, but that is a standard in Thailand even at nicer hotels. The only reason we stayed was for the pool to decompress after a long flight before we headed out on the Thai railways.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 14:24
Sweden
Level Contributor
232 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

When I stayed at Anantara july last year there was a good happy hour every afternoon by the pool and also a nice happay hiur in the evening at traders vics restaurant where you can enjoy nice Mai tai cocktails and live music. About 250-300 bht fir two nice drinks us not that bad in a good environment!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,167 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

Thanks all, plenty to think about. However, if the situation deteriorates much further in Bangkok I will be looking for a different area of Thailand to go to instead : (

South Africa
Level Contributor
51 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which would you choose, Anantara, Sheraton or Ramada?

I am currently at the Anantara and its a great hotel - well away from the protest sites! Great breakfast, happy hour, beautiful grounds, excellent location! Only negative for me is that the room (premier deluxe) is slightly on the small side. I took the Bts yesterday to Chatukhak market without any problems - even at Siam Station.