We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

We met a man who was very friendly near Lebua State Tower who said he was a chef at the hotel and had seen us there. We were heading for the sky train as we wanted to go to MBK. He said that MBK was not yet open and that we should instead go to the Modern Tailors House as they were having a last day sale. We were put into a tuk tuk and were lead there.

We were talked into buying suits and shirts. I was promised high quality fabrics and craftsmanship. However, upon returning to try on the suits and shirts the following day, it turned out to be a nightmare - the fabric they tailored the suit and shirts were not the ones we had chosen. Instead, they gave us inferior polyester fabric. More importantly, none of the clothes fit. The jacket was too tight and sleeves were way too short, the trousers were too tight and the length was too short and the shirt collar were so tight that they could not do up. We told the sales representative that we were unhappy with what we saw and we wanted to cancel the order. He turned very aggressive and insulted us. We immediately left the store and called up our bank to post a dispute for the charge.

Avoid this place! We were taken there under false pretenses. We later realized that there was no sale going on at this place. There are no prices stated for any of the products. The purpose of not fixing prices is so they can get the highest price possible and it makes the client to believe that they are getting a “discount”. The friendly man was actually a tout who attracts tourists to this establishment to earn a large commission from the purchases. Don't go near this place. You can get better quality clothes elsewhere.

Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours
Follow Me Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Bangkok Food Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

"We were taken there under false pretenses..."

Doesn't sound like you were forced into this sale.

Sorry about your problem. With a forum search you will probably find 500 posts on buying tailored goods. Also many of the old posts mention the problems you may encounter with a quick sale and no inspections or in-between fittings. Most of the posts on tailoring warn against paying up front too.

Maybe take the time to read up on some of the other scams you may encounter.

Thanks for the warning.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

Didn't mention a forced sale. Did mention that they were told MBK was closed. Depending on the time of day, that could be false pretenses.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

"Didn't mention a forced sale."

Exactly! Everything he did was of his own free will!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

**We were talked into buying suits and shirts.**

TOTALLY your fault!

And one of the oldest tricks in Bangkok! Learn how to say no.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

You are not the first and won't be the last to fall for this.

If you had done any research on scams before your vist you would have been wise to this.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

Yes, indeed, I do agree that it was totally my fault. I was impulsive and fell for the scam. It is a pity that Bangkok is such a beautiful city with scam artists trying to suck as much money as possible from any tourist they meet. Modern Tailors House operates unethical business practice. They pay touts to deceive tourists to come to the store. They do not produce what they show at the time of purchase. Instead, they provide inferior products which are extremely overpriced. I hope no one else should experience the same situation as I did.

Greenwich...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

Like the other reviewer, I was also scammed by a friendly woman who told me that she worked at my hotel and recomended me to visit Modern Tailors House instead of the place I planned to visit, that she told me was closed. After persuasion by another "helpful" man on the street and a very cheap tuk-tuk drive, all probably working together, I bought six shirts. The shirts fits ok but the fabric they used looks cheap and feels like polyester. The feeling of being scammed is overwhelming. Beware - places like this are a disgrace to Bangkok.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

I have been to Bangkok several times and am actually returning next Wednesday.

I did some research before I went the first time and also used some of my "common" sense from traveling to many countries to be wary of anyone who acts too friendly and offers to take me anywhere.

In my 6-7 trips so far, I have never even been approached. Even if I was and I was taken to a store, I would not be "compelled" to buy anything.

-You CAN'T have a proper suit made with 1 fitting anywhere in the world.

-You CAN'T have shirts made without at least 1 confirmation fitting so that adjustments can be made of needed.

-You should NEVER take delivery at your hotel because they "do that all the time."

-2 suits/5 shirts and 3 tie specials(as an example) are not even worth entertaining.

I never feel like the feeling of being scammed is overwhelming and that I have to be on my guard. I don't. I just KNOW how to say "no", "no thanks", "Im good" and walk away.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

I was taken to Modern Tailors House last week and was totally ripped off. I paid an enormous amount of money for suits and shirts and was promised best quality fabrics and craftsmanship. I ended up with a bunch of clothes made out of polyester that do not fit. Stay away from this store! TOTAL CRAP!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Modern Tailors House - 47, 49 Mahaset Road Siphaya Bangkok

Your fault. You went. You paid.