We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wrexham, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

Hi experienced travellers,

I am going to Thailand with my wife for the first time in two weeks and I'm unsure as to whether I should exchange GBP to THB before I go or is there a better rate in Thailand itself?

We're flying into Bangkok and arriving late at night. I was thinking of changing a small amount before going just in case and the rest out there if the exchange rate is better. We're taking roughly £2,000.

Would someone be able to let me know;

a) If you can get a better exchange rate in Thailand than UK?

b) If so, could you recommend where to exchange? I'm thinking the airport is not the best place (due to the terrible rates in the UK airports)

Thanks a lot,

Rich

England
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

Hi, I never take THB with me on GBP, I would maybe withdraw a small amount on your debit card at the airport in Bangkok just for the taxi etc, just keep the cash in the hotel safe and change as you need it there is booths everywhere and the rate changes hourly, you definately get a better rate there than here in the UK. Have a great trip

Edited: 27 February 2014, 13:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

You will bet a better exchange rate in Thailand.

Just change enough in Bangkok airport to pay taxis etc and then the rest the following morning In Bangkok city.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 13:52
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

Hi

Read on this articles tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Agree whir Dogeririshinlondon change just enough at the airport. Put the rest in hotel room safe and change it as needed.

4. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 16:20
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

Hi Rich

We took £3000 in cash to Thailand and exchanged over there for a much better rate. We left the money in the hotel safe and changed small amounts as and when we needed it.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,672 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

If only you had used the Search function, you would have seen that every other thread on this topic gives the same answer.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,865 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

... Or looked at the Top Question FAQs?

8. Re: Currency exchange- UK or Thailand?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:19