We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good high tea?

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
good high tea?

Where is the best hotel/restaurant, in your opinion for high tea?

What did they serve, roughly how much did it cost and was it on every day?

Thanks,

Carla

UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good high tea?

I don't know if its the best but we certainly had a great set high tea at the Erawan Tea Rooms...direct link off the the Skywalk. Consisted off choice of teas (English Breakfast, Jasmine Tea, or some Thai Tea). Also came with thai high tea treats about 8 or nine small dishes, and also scones with Chaing-mai strawberry jam.

Cost 150 baht per head (including service and taxes)...not bad for such a high class setting.

London
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: good high tea?

You just have to go to the Authors Lounge in The Oriental Hotel for High Tea. A must do. Go on the website for more info:

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good high tea?

The tea at the Oriental is held at the authors lounge and is a sensational location, if you want it to be really romantic arrive by long tail at the oriental's private jetty. You will be given a gin and tonic sorbet to get you in the mood -wow- the tea is lovely, one grumble though, scones need clotted cream and not the mascapone that the Oriental provides; oh well there is no pleasing me!! Price is a joke in comparison to a similar tea in London. Go for it.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good high tea?

Sunbear

Do you mean the tea rooms at the Hyatt Erawan? If so is the tea really only 150 Baht? - not the sort of pricing one would expect of a 5* hotel

UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good high tea?

Mark4,

yes the ones connected with the Hyatt Regency. Honestly the best value I've ever had in Thailand...street food would not have been as cheap. And it was a five star setting perfect for a break from the shopping in the nearby malls...and it was all served not a buffet.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good high tea?

thanks Sunbear

by the way I notice you have been to the Datai, would you rrecommend it? You can correspond if you wish to jmarkroberts@hotmail.com

UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good high tea?

I wish!.I've only driven into the Datai car park (does that count :-)), so I know how remote it is in relation to the Pelangi Beach. I think some one was asking if you could walk between the two.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good high tea?

sunbear - what was your impression of the Datai?

UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good high tea?

Mark4,

I really can't say as I did not stop there. I do know its regarded as one of the best hotels in Malaysia so it must be good. Remote location, so without car hire or taxi you are stuck at the resort as there was nothing else around, apart from the sister Andaman hotel. Oh and access to the Golf course owned by the group.

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good high tea?

Thankyou all so much. We go in 3 weeks so yum!

We may just have to go to both...

Carla