We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pity the poor bus fare collectors

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Pity the poor bus fare collectors

"In the capital of the Land of Smiles, most bus fare collectors are women, and while they sometimes offer passengers a smile, frazzled ticket collectors are not ‘fair maidens’, but ‘fare maids’. Damsels in distress, they work long hours and must bear with unpredictable passengers, hot weather, and heated tempers fired up by notorious traffic snarls."

More: www.mcot.net/site/content…

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pity the poor bus fare collectors

Thanks Bill,

Their job is a tough one, I have always found the ladies to be very helpful. Indeed, last time we took the 556 bus it got stuck in heavy traffic and the clippy gave us some water to drink.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pity the poor bus fare collectors

I found it shocking that they have medical problems because they're not able to relieve themselves. I wonder how many other jobs come with similar difficulties? I know it's an issue with postal carriers in Canada.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pity the poor bus fare collectors

Yes I often travel on buses and always spare a thought for bus fare collectors. These ladies are usually very small and have to push their way through often sardined buses to collect fares. Even though nearly all don't speak English, they try to do their best for you. Many occasions where they have not taken a fare from me because I have taken the wrong bus, such is their honesty.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pity the poor bus fare collectors

The ladies are nice the guys tend to be surlier.

No surprise they have urinary tract problems. Try catching the bus rush hour. Its one long traffic jam, i haven even waited 20mins just tp pass a traffic light and thats with the light in sight. Imagine being on the red no aircon, no fan bus!!!

5. Re: Pity the poor bus fare collectors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28