We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Sussex
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I've been reading up on here that it seems to be best practice to take Pound Sterling to Thailand and exchange when you are over there (Hotels/Banks etc- albeit notes have to be new) for a much better exchange rate than here.

Currently the best rate I can find here is 51.888 on Money Corp which seems terrible in comparison to the 54.24 I got on my credit card the other day when paying for Bangkok air flights to Ko Samui from Bangkok including fees.

Does anyone happen to know what is the rough rate you are getting for pound sterling on the high street over there? I know it changes hourly but just a rough estimate would be good, and also, where are the best places to go? If there are any particular banks etc?

I'm trying to work out whether its better to take Sterling Cash or withdraw by ATM over there (which I gather also incurs a fee).

Thanks in advance

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Hi,

Check the rates of various Thai banks below:

…daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

West Sussex
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Thank you, thats very useful.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Take cash to exchange, as you will pay fee's using an ATM.

The exchange rate has been fluctuating between 53.3 to 54.4 the last 2 months

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
429 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Superrich were showing 54. Yesterday on their site for 20 and 50 pound notes.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Super Rich website is a good guideline of one of the better rates in Bangkok. Would think your looking at getting on average 3 or 4 Baht more to the pound in Thailand as opposed to exchanging in the UK

Shropshire, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Hi,

I recently took out a Halifax Clarity Credit card as recommended on MoneySavingExpert. It is well renowned for for being one of the cheapest methods of paying for things abroad as it has 0% on purchases.

In addition to this, whilst they do charge interest on withdrawals (a matter of 10-15pence per day), they do not charge a fee for each withdrawal like most other credit cards. You will only be charged by the machine itself like some machines in the UK (ATM's at service stations), but unlike in the UK, again the charges are minimal.

In terms of exchange rate, the Halifax Clarity card goes by the Mastercard exchange rate on the day you withdraw/pay, which is normally a similar/higher rate than Thai banks will give you. Check the currency conversion tool here:

https:/…

Hope this helps. I have just taken one out myself specifically for my trip in the next month.

uk rural
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Going in the reverse direction, i.e. Thailand to UK, we always change any Baht remaining back to Sterling at Suvarnabhumi because you will always get a better rate there than in UK. This also takes into account the fact that airports are the worst places to exchange currencies.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

If you want to get a quick reference rate, type "XXXX THB in GBP" into Google. This also works in reverse and for USD, EUR, CAD, AUD INR etc. What it returns is a mid-rate which is pretty close to what the Thai banks are giving.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

#7, If you use the Kasikorn Bank outlet on the ARL level, youll get exactly the same rate as K-Bank is offering everywhere else in Thailand. They're usually in the top 5.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baht -GBP Exchange Rate

Thanks all for the tips. Yes the fx rate on google is usually nearer to the commercial rate, and with usd and euro it's not usually far out but the rate in the uk is poor.

Thanks all for your help I really appreciate it. One question... Can you only exchange 20s and 50s or can you take a bulk of tens sterling too?