We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from hotel to airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
taxi from hotel to airport

Had a real bad taxi experience on last trip to bangkok. Stayed in Novotel PloenChit Hotel for 5 days and 4 night. On last day of trip, requested hotel staff (bell boy) to get a metered cab to airport but was instead directed to a cab which wanted to charge a flat rate of 500. So requested bell boy to get another cab. The next cab agreed to charge by meter but while loading the luggages, noticed the cab driver exchanging eye signals with the bell boy. The taxi experience was a nightmare. After boarding, the driver refused to on the meter and then gave all sorts of excuses. He reluctantly on the meter after we said we wanted to get off. But he demanded service fee of additioal 50 baht. On the highway, I noticed the driver intentionally took a turn when the airport sign show going straight. Nothing much can be done as we are already on the highway and unable to get off. The total fare came up to more than 500 baht (including toll charge). A 30 min trip ended up more than 1 hr 15min. Had we not left the hotel early, we would have missed the flight.Can fellow forummers advice if it is ok to request for metered cab even if we board from hotel? Does anyone have similar experience to share? Is there anyway to lodge a complain against the taxi driver?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

Maybe you should contact the hotel and lodge complaint against the bellboy. You where only charged 100/125 baht over a metered taxi so could have been worse.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

Dodger is correct.

Contact the Novotel.Please do that.

Dont feel too bad it happens a lot.

Always get the concierge to arrange your taxis the night before,with clear instructions.

Best not to pursue a complaint against Bangkok Taxi drivers,some are bad,some are good,and some are just fantastic people.Just like their passengers.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,323 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

Sorry you got into a bad taxi situation. If you had stepped out on Ploenchit Road, you could have waved down a taxi yourself within a couple minutes, with a driver prepared to follow the rules and not colluding with a crooked bellman.

Just for the record, there is no 50 baht surcharge going TO the airport. Unlike in Singapore, there are very few surcharges to the basic fare in Bangkok. One of them is the 50 baht extra you pay when you get a taxi FROM the airport. The other is a 20 baht surcharge you have to pay if you call a taxi on one of the call services.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing. We are lucky we made it to the flight. But it was a mad rush after getting off the taxi. Highly stressed. Can't imagine missing the flight.

I will definitely feedback to Novotel. But is there really no way to complain the taxi driver, even if i have taken down the car plate number? The whole trip is marred by these 2 people.

Come to think of it, we really should have got help from concerige the night before. We did that during previous trip. I think we let our guard down because we had good impression of the hotel and staff.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing. We are lucky we made it to the flight. But it was a mad rush after getting off the taxi. Highly stressed. Can't imagine missing the flight.

I will definitely feedback to Novotel. But is there really no way to complain the taxi driver, even if i have taken down the car plate number? The whole trip is marred by these 2 people.

Come to think of it, we really should have got help from concerige the night before. We did that during previous trip. I think we let our guard down because we had good impression of the hotel and staff.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

"Can fellow forummers advice if it is ok to request for metered cab even if we board from hotel? Does anyone have similar experience to share? Is there anyway to lodge a complain against the taxi driver?"

It is unlawful for a taxi not to use the meter. You can lodge complaints with the Dept of Land Transport complaints line 1584 and your complaint will at least be registered........ sometimes followed up. However, you need to know the specific id number of the taxi.

I'd definitely write to the GM of Novotel and state what happened, focusing especially on the role of the concierge. Tell them that you will never stay there again and that you advise your friends of the same.

As a general rule in BKK, never take a taxi that is waiting at or outside a hotel, always a passing one. Some drivers have established relations with staff and both benefit from over charging unsuspecting hotel guests. At Novotel Ploenchit, taking a taxi from the opposite side of the road gets you straight onto the expressway to the airport - not always possible with baggage.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

And just to give you an idea of what type of complaints are made, bangkokpost.com/news/…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

**"Can fellow forummers advice if it is ok to request for metered cab even if we board from hotel?**

I do it all the time....when I am headed back to the airport.

I have had a driver offer a flat rate. I don't get in the taxi and hail my own. Never really had an issue with Thai taxi drivers. Outside of some not wanting to go to a specific location, no real issues...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

Definitely lodge a complain to the Novotel. If you have the concierge's name mention it in your complain. Include time and date as well.

Also lodge a complain against the taxi driver if you have his info.

And Yes, I get Meyer taxis from hotels all the time. Even with the taxi touts hanging around outside I tell the concierge to get me a meter taxi.

10. Re: taxi from hotel to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 22:05