We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

Just returned from Bangkok…friend & I thought we would catch the train from Hua Lamphong train station to Hua Hin. Researched it all and decided on the 8.05am 2nd class air-conditioned train. Got to the station before 7.00am to get our tickets. As soon as we entered the station, we were approached by a guy in a uniform (it looked like a uniform!) who asked where we were going. When I told him Hua Hin, he advised that the 8.05am was booked out (we were surprised that it was booked out already) and if we caught the 9.20am (which was 3rd class and not air-conditioned), it would take us hours and hours to get there, because it stopped and started all along the way. He made a great act of going over to the counter, peering at the computer to confirm that it was indeed, booked out.

He could help us out as he had a taxi driver friend in the carpark who would take us to Hua Hin for 3000 baht. We had previously been quoted 2,500 baht by another taxi driver, who actually spoke English. As it wasn't too much more, we agreed.

Jumped in the cab and the driver gunned it along the freeway, doing 110-120 kph, when the speed limit was only 100kph in parts. Repeatedly asked him to slow down.

Arrived in Hua Hin and he didn't know where our hotel was, because he is a "Bangkok taxi driver". He stopped and asked some locals who couldn't help. He drove up and down the strip quite a few times.

I gave him the ph no of the hotel and he rang them twice to get directions. Eventually, we arrived, BUT he asked us for another 500 baht. When I refused, he slammed the boot shut with our luggage in it. He was very aggressive and only gave us our luggage when I gave him the additional 500 baht.

We spoke later with our lovely, English-speaking taxi driver Willard and told him the story. He spoke to his friends and told us that there was a gang operating out of Hua Lamphong station and this was their scam.

Just letting you all know…...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

Tks. I'm not going to say more.....

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

more and more it never ends, best to keep reporting so everyone knows to do it yourself and not listen to strangers even if uniformed. I know you seen the prices to Hua Hin but want ti include my last ride on train there with a fan was 44 baht. then of course they will try to sell u more then u want beers which u dont have to drink and not a problem. when u order one u get three large bottles in a ice bucket.

and not planning I took the next available back to BKK for about 256 baht. So even though 3000 doesn't sound much for this journey its bad performance, and will entice more scams. thanks for the heads up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

Once again this proves people should not be listening to or taking advice off strangers in Thainand.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

**Once again this proves people should not be listening to or taking advice off strangers in Thainand.**

+1

(OP has to take some of the blame.)

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
144 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

I'm not shocked in the least. But very sorry this happened to you.

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Thailand, spending our last 4 days in Bangkok and we were constantly being stopped by potential scammers and being locked in taxis after we demanded they put the meter on. Luckily I had done lots of research and were well aware of the 100,s of scams in Bangkok so were lucky we could avoid being taken in.

Even the guy at the tourist river boat cruise office lied to us ,telling us Asiatique was closed and he could arrange a free tuk tuk to some shops for us instead, no doubt we would have been locked inside a tailors o a jewellers until we bought. We ignored him and caught the free boat across to Asiatique and had a lovely evening.

We will never return to Bangkok , our last few days in Thailand were truly spoilt by these horrid creatures.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

Thank you very much for giving time and posting about those scammers. Again and again We should NOT trust and listen to strangers and confirm everything from the counter directly. Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,424 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

These scams operate all over Asia. Hopefully a lesson has been learnt.

Tommo

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

"We will never return to Bangkok , our last few days in Thailand were truly spoilt by these horrid creatures."

How did I get through 10 years in BKK without being scammed? They never tried it with me.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

Be greatful you only lost 500/1000 Baht, and not your life. Getting into a random vehicle like that was dangerous, but you live and learn and you must not let it spoil your memories of what was probably, that aside, a fantastic trip.

Thanks for warning others.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BEWARE - Gang operating from Hua Lamphong train station

**How did I get through 10 years in BKK without being scammed? They never tried it with me.**

7+ years of visiting for me. Never an issue.