We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Cash for Markets?

Central NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
US Cash for Markets?

When we were in Beijing last year, vendors loved US dollars. We brought a lot of small bills and used them for all kinds of purchases at the markets. Does anyone know if this is also true in Bangkok?

Thanks!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Cash for Markets?

Thai baht us preferred.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Cash for Markets?

When in Thailand.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Cash for Markets?

Thai baht

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Cash for Markets?

When I was last in America I could not understand why the shops would not take Bahts and insisted on $$$$

Hervey

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Cash for Markets?

USDs are accepted in a few other countries. In some, they are actually preferred over local cash.

Thailand, however, isn't one. Very, very few sellers will accept anything other than Baht. The few that will, will definitely offer a terrible rate of exchange.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Cash for Markets?

Just change your USD and use baht which is the local currency and is most definitely preferred over any other in Thailand. I would doubt that any market seller would want to take anything other than baht. You would more than probably be able to use it to pay for hotel accommodation but as OctoberSix says, you would get a terrible exchange rate.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,302 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Cash for Markets?

I wanted to pay in baht at Wondee's Thai Food in Hackensack NJ, and they insisted on dollars. Who do I complain to? ;-D

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Cash for Markets?

I've just started following this forum but it strikes me already that some of you frequent responders are pretty snarky/rude on a regular basis. Why do you feel the need to do this? If you don't like the question, just don't answer it. No need to pick on people who are just trying to get some advice.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Cash for Markets?

A few idiot snarky replies here - in many countries vendors DO prefer USD - such as Cuba. Thailand isn't one though :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Cash for Markets?

I would say complaining about "idiot snarky replies" is way too harsh. There is no way most replies could have been called anything else but accurate and as matter of fact. Two replies might be labelled as snarky for reiterating the fact that the vast majority of countries allow only their own currency as a medium of exchange.

I'm not surprised that some frequent responders feel some battle fatigue and cannot be bothered to spell out the ABC to people who could have found answer by using Internet search or some common sense. At least they have not used any profanity, and you will not see the sarcasm unless you already know enough to tell how inane the question was.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 18:27