We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free ATM withdrawals

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Free ATM withdrawals

Heard that Thai banks charge 150 to 180 baht per withdrawal on ATMs and after a bit of searching online read that AEON and Citibank don't charge this fee. Went to the AEON ATM on the LG floor in Terminal 21 and was advised that there was a 150 baht charge so I cancelled transaction. Went over the footbridge to Citibank next to Asok Stn in Interchange 21 Building ( metres from Soi Cowboy ) and withdrew 15000 baht as I have a £300 daily withdrawal limit from my UK bank on my debit card. The printout option came at the end and I missed it as I was putting my money into my wallet. But checked my bank account. From what I see there is no withdrawal charge. 15,000 baht on visaxr of 53.60781. So £279.81 taken from my account. And on a side note as mentioned in the currency exchange facts on the right of this page if arriving at international airport best place to change money is at Kasikorn Banks green booth on the airport link level, 2 levels below arrivals. It is actually on the entrance to the Airport Rail Station. If you change £100 you maybe save a couple of quid. All adds up!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

AEON changed the free wuthdrawl policy a while ago. It was posted on this forum. Kasikorn is not always the best Xchange rate. It depends on currency you xchange as well as on the market.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

Both AEON and Citibank have been imposing the Thai Bank Assoc ATM charge for non thai accounts for some time. I stopped using Citibank early last year when they started charging the 150 fee. I suspect that you were charged the fee but perhaps they have changed the policy again??

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

Does this mean your UK bank wont make a charge either?

London, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

The UK bank still makes their usual currency conversion and withdrawal charges. Can't see any evidence of a Thai ATM withdrawal charge on my online account. 15,000 baht charged. Maybe others can confirm or not that Citibank have free ATM withdrawals for foreign Visa and MasterCard accounts.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

>>I stopped using Citibank early last year when they started charging the 150 fee

Not all cards are equal apparently. European and UK cards don't seem to be charged by Citibank but South American cards are. Another member posted about this a while ago as they have cards from different countries.

We withdrew from Citibank earlier in the month using two VISA debit cards linked to two different UK bank accounts and didn't get charged. Our UK banks don't charge any fees for withdrawals overseas, so we are lucky.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 13:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

Lobby you are lucky if your UK bank doesn't charge you for oversea withdrawals. My Lloyds Visa debit hits me with a 2.99% non sterling transaction fee which came to £8.36 for taking out the above amount of £279.81 and then they also charged me a non sterling cash fee of £4.19. Hence my search for a bank that doesn't charge from the Thai side. This 2.99% non sterling transaction fee only started showing up on accounts last summer. When I asked a Lloyds employee about it he said it used to be hidden in the exchange rate but new regulations meant they had to be more open so now we get a good rate on the exchange and they show the transaction fee separately. Same difference according to him. Whether this is correct or not I haven't confirmed. Could look for a new card but changing banks is hassle and it seems the good cards offers at other banks don't last too long anyhow. I do tend to bring some cash with me when I go abroad to avoid the fees. It's a risk but I despise paying these fees to get my hands on my money.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

"European and UK cards don't seem to be charged by Citibank but South American cards are. Another member posted about this a while ago as they have cards from different countries."

This is not correct re all European Banks. I hold cards from 2 continental EU countries, I pay a fee there and in Bkk.

While many of you from the UK moan about fees, I have always had to pay on the continent. We even pay between EURO zone countries when using EURO debit cards.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

I believe Halifax Clarity credit card does not have any charges when used abroad, including when making withdrawals. Just the usual interest rate. Could be worth looking into.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,353 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

Not true. You are still charged 180 baht per withdrawal by the Thai bank. No fees charged by Halifax but as it is a credit card you are charged interest from day of withdrawal until you repay in full.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
316 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free ATM withdrawals

Is there an ATM in the airport arrival area where we won't have to pay the withdrawal fee?