We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

durham
Level Contributor
54 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

Hello

After spending many days searching iv given up and so please can you help? We are a couple staying in Bangkok for 1st time before we tour several south Thailand islands. We are hoping to stay in an area that has street food and markets and some Temples. We are not bothered about shopping malls. We was looking at The River area but not sure. What area can you recommend for us.

Thank you

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

River Area is best for Bangkok. If you can find a hotel close to Saphan Taksin bridge that would be ideal. Then your close to the BTS and the pier for the excellent day time cheap river transport

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

First time in Bangkok I think worth checking out Khao San Rd. It's packed with tourists but also with bars and restaurants and large variety of hotels. I don't stay there anymore but do think it's a good place to go on first visit to Bangkok. I love the shopping malls and nightlife so prefer Siam and Sukhumvit.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
The Siam
The Siam
735 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Sukhumvit
Sukhumvit
1,848 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,299 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

Hi,

It seems as though you have already decided to be by the river. As roverEngland suggests if you stay near Saphan Taksin you will be able to get to shops and markets by using the Skytrain.

durham
Level Contributor
54 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

Thanks I have another look on net. We not bothered about nightlife/clubs and my hubby hates shopping! But wants to see the weekend market and possibly try China Town Market and street food ...more culture thing. The River hotels are little more pricey but they all look amazing so it'll be worth it. I did not realise how enormous Bangkok is and cannot wait to get there.

Regards

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

Hi,

If you're considering the Riverside then you could look at either Chatrium Hotel Riverside or Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside; both quite good value for money.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 15:07
Mentioned in this post
Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
Chatrium Hotel Riverside...
9,005 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside
Ramada Plaza Bangkok...
1,985 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
6. Re: Not sure which area to stay for 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:17