We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging large Baht notes

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Exchanging large Baht notes

Hi all,

We are taking over some Thai Baht with us for our trip. The majority of the currency that we have is many 1000 Baht notes which is larger than I would have liked to have taken with us. I am unsure that man places would take 1000 Baht notes so I am wondering if there is anywhere in the airport or Banks that could be useful to break down these notes into smaller 100 Baht notes.

Thanks

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,433 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

Just use them in 7-11's, bars, restaurants etc.

Its what I do every trip

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

I hope you didn't buy the Thai currency in the UK? Terrible exchange rates compared to Thailand itself.

As for exchanging 1,000 baht notes in airport, you can do that at any of many currency exchange windows and bank outlets in the airport. You will definitely need some smaller currency for the taxi driver than a 1,000 baht bill. get some 20s, 50s, 100s. With the exception of taxis, tuk-tuks, and many street food carts you can use 1000 baht bills everywhere. They are commonly accepted in restaurants, department stores, outdoor markets, malls, hotels , etc.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 16:46
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

1000 THB isnt a huge amount. Yes, these are not useful at a streetstall or in a taxi. Otherwise no problem to get change. Thais will always find change when you bought something.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

Agree.....hope you didn't exchange in the UK.

Also as stated, 1000 THB isn't really that large. You can use a 1000 THB in a taxi tom the airport. At the first toll, they will give the driver change. Any bar/restaurant/7-11/massage/etc place accepts them. Everyplace accepts them.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

As stated 1000THB is only about £20 son not huge, the reception desk of your hotel will ususlly break these down into smaller if you want but just use them everytime you are in a 'propper shop' restaurant or bar rather than a street stall or taxi and keep all your smaller bills for these outlets

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

I treat 1000B notes as £20 notes and change them on my two or three daily visits to 7/11. Supermarkets like Tops or Big C are only too willing to change them as well as restaurants/bars.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,433 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

In Patong this year, I even saw a Russian pay for a 9bt bottle of water with a 1000bt note, & the 7-11 girl never said a thing, just gave him the change

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,872 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

It's mentioned above but I'll reiterate: the toll stations on the Expressway are obliged to change 1000 baht notes. So if you negelected to get change in the airport, just hand the driver the 1000 and take the change once he's paid. Taxi drivers cannot or will not take 1000 baht notes, as you know.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,524 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

If you need small bills at the airport just change 50 pounds and ask for some smaller denominations. Money changers run by banks available at the airport 24 hours a day. In the city buying something in a supermarket is good for breaking big bills down. Also when you change money for coins at Skytrain stations they may take big bills.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

10. Re: Exchanging large Baht notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 07:15