We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we travel to in Thailand? General help

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we travel to in Thailand? General help

I'm a 19 year old female and me and my friend (20 year old female) are planning an 11 day trip to thailand in March next year. We are not as lively as other girls our age and are not after a partying destination but rather beautiful white sand, clear sea beaches that aren't completely over run by tourists however we would like there to be some restaurants and shops and definite possibility of trips to other islands for the day ect. We are interested in going shopping (however most of that will take place in bangkok) elephant rides/baths, yoga, spas ect. We are looking for 5* accommodation and a true taste of thailands culture not an extremely touristy spot.

We are flying from Newcastle, so are going to Bangkok first and are planning on spending 3-5 days there. We were thinking of staying at centara grand at central world as it is near central world mall however, does anyone have any recommendations of where is a great place to stay to see all the sights of bangkok? we'd like to visit temples, parks, markets ect. The hotel would need a pool.

After our 3-5 days in bangkok we want to take an internal flight into a beach part of thailand. We have ruled out phuket, but need help deciding between krabi, koh samui ect? Or anywhere else that we could easily get can internal flight to? we would be staying here for 4-6 days so there would need to be quite a few things to do but also daytrips to different islands for the day. Where do you believe would be best to go?

is thailand full of tourists in march time?

Any general advice would help.

Empire Tailors
Gift & Speciality Shops
Rajawongse Clothier
Gift & Speciality Shops
Raja's Fashions
Gift & Speciality Shops
Alex's Fashion Tailors
Gift & Speciality Shops
London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we travel to in Thailand? General help

Hiya

This forum is full of information so you need to research the details yourself.

If it was me, I wouldn't stay at the Centara in BKK as for me it is a bit soulless but others will no doubt disagree. You need to find a hotel near the sky train (like your metro but above ground, air con and extremely cheap!), so I would recommend Sukhumvit area. Although there are some very dirty parts of Sukhumvit, the strip of 4 or 5* hotels will give you fantastic service and location. We stayed recently at Grand Centre Point at Terminal 21 and loved it.

Re your beach destination, either Samui or Krabi would give you what you want.

If Krabi, I would recommend the Centara Grand Beach Resort - absolutely gorgeous place.

If Samui, I would recommend the. Bophut area (Fisherman's Village).

I'm sure others will add more, but I would recommend all of those places/hotels to you as they would suit what you have outlined.

Enjoy your research - it's great fun to search the details and you will have a fab holiday.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we travel to in Thailand? General help

I would go along with that. Sukhumvit in Bangkok and ko Samui. Sukhumvit is very central, it has the bts sky train there, giving you good access to other parts of the city. Plenty if nice restaraunts and shopping malls around there too. Get the bts to saphan thaksin station, you can walk to the pier from there and take a boat along the chao phraya river to several temples and other tourist sites. A dinner cruise would also be well worth doing.

I like ko Samui, but there are plenty if tourists there. But most Thai islands have plenty of tourists. The ones that don't, tend to not have good accommodation. Bophut would be a lot quieter though than the two main beaches if chaweng and lamai. I'd recommend taking a day trip to ko Tao. Especially if you want to go some snorkelling as it's great there. Nang yuang island just off ko Tao is a beautiful little place to relax and do some snorkelling. You can get a boat taxi from ko Tao. But be warned, you will get wet in the boat taxi so make sure you have and phones, cameras etc well protected. Tanote bay on ko Tao also top class snorkelling. Another day trip I'd recommend from Samui is ang thong marine park. I did the kayaking and snorkelling trip and it was very good. Stopped at a couple of islands, some great scenery, and near the end we climbed up to a viewpoint overlooking a salt water lake. Amazing view up there. Also on Samui, you'll find spas, great restaraunts, the seafood is great, there's a couple of waterfalls and no shortage of activities or water sports. Big buddha temple also worth checking out. Enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we travel to in Thailand? General help

What kind of budget are you thinking of? suk is nice, as others have said, but last time we tried a new area, area chong nansi (just a couple of BTS stops from both the river and siam)- our hotel wasn't great but we looked at some in the area and trinity glow and furama xclusive silom both looked great and were also very close to the skytrain. some of the british travel agents like trailfinders, travelbag etc have good deals at belaire princess (suk 5) which is a nice hotel in a lively area.

have a look at khao lak as a beach resort- you fly to phuket airport, which is usually a cheaper flight than samui from bangkok.

4. Re: Where should we travel to in Thailand? General help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:16