We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Markets

Hi Everyone,

I will be in Bangkok towards the end of May on the way home form an island holiday. I am after some advice on the markets and shopping. As I have been to Bangkok before and seen all the cultural sights this trip is all about the shopping. I arrive around lunch time on Friday and leave late Monday night. I'm staying at the Mercure Bangkok Siam. I have read as many posts as possible already on TA and would like some help finalising my plans.

My only definite plans are to visit the Chatuchak markets on Saturday. I would like to visit Bobae markets or Pratunam markets I am particularly interested in items for children, clothes, bags and accessories. Which one of these two markets would be best and when would be the best time to visit?

I would also like to visit China Town/Sampeng Lane but again I am wondering what those in the know think would be the best time to do so. I was also wondering if anyone from Australia has visited the Ikea store and if it's any different to the ones we have in Australia?

I will probably check out the Malls in the evening. Interested in any suggestions you may have. Thanks

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets

Just a warning that Chatuchak market will be very hot, so you'll be best to plan to spend only a few hours there.

For a shopaholic let loose in Bangkok, you most certainly can't miss MBK, which as you're staying in Siam, will be just on your doorstep.

China Town is a good area for the sorts of things you want. In many places you need to be at least three items as they sell in wholesale lots.

Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets

Thanks for your response. MBK is one of the reasons I picked my hotel. And I'm fully prepared to buy more than one of everything. :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets

Maybe u can visit MBk on Friday late afternoon.

On Sat morning visit Chinatown/Sampeng Lane, have lunch at Chinatown or Bobae Tower food court . Continue with your shopping at Bobae Tower and by then your tiring leg will need a massage.I normally cover this 2 areas in the morning & proceed to Bobae by taxi ,after lunch at Chinatown.

On sunday, proceed to Chatuchak in the morning and Pratunam in the afternoon for your shopping.

The problem we face is , with bags full of shopping from one mkt, can't carry along to next mkt and sometimes need to unload the bags at our hotel first before can proceed to next mkt.This hinder our time spend on shopping.

Hope this give u some info on shopping schedule planning.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets

Hi Maxi 1,

We always stay in Pratunum as we love the area and the shopping! Plenty of the things you mentioned to buy, and plenty of stalls in the market and in the malls.

Last year we headed to China Town and had an absolute ball. As mentioned, buy more than 1 piece as it is cheaper, so great place for gifts, it is overwhelming and busy and hot, but so cheap with interesting stalls selling things we hadn't seen at other places. Just check quality at both Pratunum and China Town, however I have never had a problem with anything I have bought and the children's clothing has lasted so well. The Thais are quick to tell you if something is made in China, and are proud of their own products and I always try and support that when shopping. In Pratunum I always stock up on shoes, bags and jewellery, and whilst none is the real deal, I get plenty of compliments when wearing my purchases. I also buy quite a bit of clothing in the Pratunum market area as I have a favourite stall there.

Travel safe and have fun.

MCG

5. Re: Markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 12:05
BKK
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets

Sat :

Start from Union Mall-clothes/shoes/bag/accessories/2nd hand- by MRT Petchburi station

Then catch MRT to Chatichack station in the afternoon

In evening, you may go to Rod Fai market for shopping and dinning

All 3 places are in the same area.

Sun

If you want really cheap clothes from Pratunam, try to start you're shopping time around 7-9am. Platinum mall will open around 10 am

Baiyok tower may a good choice for luch

SamPeang market is the next shopping place

Walking from Sampeng Market to get some dinner at Chinatown

Mon

Take your time in Siam area, Siam and MBK

BKK
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Markets

bod75,

Chatuchack may be a good choice for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Markets

Re: Post #6

Union Mall is across from Central Ladphrao, which is accessed from the Phahon Yothin MRT station, 5 stops north of Petchaburi.

Talad Rot Fai has been moved to Srinakarin Road, behind Seacon Square.

Chatuchak is still accessed by Kamphaeng Phet MRT or Mo Chit BTS.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 13:03
Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Markets

Wow! Thanks everyone for taking the time to let me know your suggestions. I'll let you know how I go.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Markets

just left bangkok sad to say the shopping has gotten crap was alot better a few years ago wish i brought more in bali before we flew to bangkok we went to alot of places that i read great reviews on trip advisor for and i was greatly dissapointed MBK is cheaper than most markets and you can bahter them down, we got make up,shoes,clothes,jewlerry,electrical goods and suveniers, only other place for shoes was one stall in pratunam, we also went to koh san road waste of time we went to chine town also a waste of time, stear clear and dont waste your time, just because its a market doent mean its cheaper at all for adivce on prices i generally go about 60% less than what they are offering until you get to know the prices, never offer what you are happy to pay up front because then you have no room to more, also always be polite and friendly that way if you change your mind you can come back later, good luck :)