We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Bangkok with Kids

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
176 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Bangkok with Kids

Bangkok

My girls (10 and 6) and I have just returned from a wonderful 12 days in Thailand. We travelled to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. I have divided the JBR over the Bangkok and Chiang Mai forum. I have not done one for Phuket as we basically did nothing but sit by a pool and I don't really have anything to offer other travellers. Can't say I was a fan of Phuket so it wouldn't be an ace JBR. I am doing this JBR for two reasons, the first is pay it forward for all the wonderful advice and suggestions I have picked up from TripAdvisor that contributed to a wonderful holiday. The second reason is there are not many JBR's from one parent families, so I hope this will assist people who are reluctant to travel on their own with children.

We stayed:

In Bangkok we stayed at the Pathumwam Princess Hotel. I have done a hotel review so I will only summarise. It's attached to MBK so super easy to shop and eat with kids in tow. No going outside necessary. You can also reach the sky train through the shopping centre. We didn't encounter any rain, but if we had, there were plenty of things to do in MBK and other centres that are all attached by covered sky walks, for kids. A really easy experience.

We ate:

We were only in Bangkok for two days so no real experimenting with where to eat. Breakfast was in the hotel and lunch/dinner in food courts. MBK had a really cheap food court but not really for kids. Very international food and my kids kept gagging at the smells. The best place to eat we found was in the food court at Siam Paragon. Very modern and clean with tons of food choices. The other things we enjoyed were banana roti from street vendors just outside our hotel. Really yummo.

What we did:

We went to Madame Tussauds, the Aquarium, Escape Hunt and shopping. The kids loved the wax museum because you can touch and stand next to each display for a photo. The aquarium was OK but not a show stopper. I really enjoyed Escape Hunt, and the kids were mega excited with every clue they discovered. This was a unique experience and we are glad we went.

Our favourite thing:

Walking around MBK we discovered a huge hair place called Big Cut. The three of us all had a wash, cut and blow dry for the ridiculous price of about $8.00 (AUD) each. The kids also had manicures and pedicures (not really my thing!). We had never really done the whole wash/blow dry thing together so it was really a treat, and they really spoilt the kids. We all walked out feeling so much more glam than we walked in, making it a memorable experience.

Travel to Chiang Mai:

We decided to take the overnight train to CM, for no other reason but to say we have experienced sleeping on the train. I will be honest and say I was a bit anxious about being on a train at night with 2 young girls. We couldn't do a first class sleeper as they only accommodate 1 or 2 people, and I wasn't keen on having a child in a separate cabin alone even if it did have a connecting door. That left 2nd class. Monicker the 7.30pm train as it's an ex JR train and had 4 bed cabins in second class. Even though there was 3 of us, I purchased all 4 beds to ensure we had the cabin to ourselves. Also added extra privacy by unclipping a top and bottom bunk curtain and attaching it across the aisle to the next bed, thereby creating a cabin that couldn't be looked into from the outside aisle. The beds were comfortable, the restaurant car was really fun to eat dinner and breakfast in, but the cabin was freezing cold at night. Having read that before, I dressed the kids in warm PJs, socks and jackets before they went to bed. I also had an extra sheet and blanket from the spare bed. They slept fine but I was really cold. It was a really fun way to travel and we really enjoyed the experience. The train arrived 2 hours late which I understand is generally considered on time, or even early. I had also read that the food was ordinary, but we found it great, mainly because it was just really plain and simple and hence appealing to children.

Verdict:

Great city holiday for families. We would have loved the time to do Kidzania and maybe a show, but there is always next time.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

So nice JBR. I read every word from it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
176 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

Thanks. Just noticed the auto correct has changed some of the words to goodness knows what. Wish I could edit it now!,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

Hi McGirls03,

I enjoyed your interesting JBR. It would take a lot of convincing to get my wife & me to hop onto the BKK-Chiang Mai train. Perhaps, one day we might just have the courage to do so.

I thought the international foodcourt @ MBK had quite a pleasant environment, although prices are too steep for my liking. The foodcourt @ Paragon is actually quite good in quality and variety. However, IMO, the best foodcourt is @ the 5th level of Terminal 21 followed in second by the Foodloft at Central Chitlom Mall.

Hope you all come back in Thailand soon.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 13:42
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

Thanks for the JBR, just looking into Escape Hunt as looking for something new to do in Bangkok with my girls and think they might like it.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

Thanks for your report, sounds like you had a fun trip, I will definitely check out big Cut on our next visit.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

great tips for travel with kids mcgirls! am planning to take my boys next year so this will come in handy - saving to favourites :-)

bangalore
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

Thank you , McGirls03, for a very easy paced JBR.

We, my daughter and I ,just got back from 2 great weeks in Thailand.

My Daughter is older than you kids, so I can imagine the difficulties that you encountered with 2 kids, especially if they happen to be picky eaters, like mine!!!

Must check out Escape Hunt, next time...

Thanks,

kayura

Australind...
Level Contributor
242 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

Perfect timing on your JBR! I'm at the start of planning our Thailand trip with our kids, sounds like you had a great time :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

You must be so glad you did the trip as a solo parent! I bet you were a little anxious.

Congrats your girls will never forget it!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
155 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Bangkok with Kids

Hats off to you, McGirls03,

Good on you for giving your girls the gift of your trip. What a fabulous experience for you all - and so great that you went ahead with the train trip despite your anxiety - you sure can say that you did it.

Also, thanks very much for the information, I'me also going to paste it into my notes.

Cheers,

Dromomaniac

Edited: 22 May 2014, 07:47