We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I was scammed... yesterday

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I was scammed... yesterday

I am in Bangkok

Before coming here, looked some reviews and choose a restaurant in old city

Yesterday I left my hotel, walking on the streets and a taxi driver approached (first thing to be careful: go after your taxi driver; refuse the ones that come after you; I've used this a lot here, but this time, I was hungry, it was late night, :(

Asked for the meter, of course, driver started a friendly conversation... well, difficult to say... but should I be beware of thia too? How could we travel like this? :(

He offered me a good restaurant, better rhan mine, but I insisted, and he gave up, and he jept driving to my restaurant

After some time he showed me a newspaper with pictures of the protests... and told it could have happened some protests in the area and streets could be blocked by the police. You must have read about protests before coming here... it can ruin your trip... and then the driver arrived to a blocked street with an strong searchlight toward the street

Well, there was no way to go ahead, he turned back and this time, of course, we accepted his suggestion and went to an ugly and even though expensive restaurant by a train track

He left us there but promised come back to take us to our hotel by a cheap rate

Thinking more about what happened I reminded how rotten was the newspaper... must have be used many times :((

I think many other drivers take tourists to that place as I could see several other couples like me... the area is dark at night so you are afraid of leaving the place walking

I saw a couple of western women that immediately after leaving her taxi and after seeing the place, they came back to her taxi and left the place... Smart girls!!! Trusting in her sixth sense

Well, be aware of this and beware!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,597 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

"… go after your taxi driver; refuse the ones that come after you ..."

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

".....we accepted his suggestion..."

Scam?

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

This is very bad impression on tourists. However it can be avoided by not travelling by taxi at night. Go somewhere where you can take the train or metro. Better go somewhere within walking distance. Take a taxi only when you know exactly where you are going and how you are going. And in Bangkok all taxis come after you. You never have to go after any taxi.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,597 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

Taxis drive around, looking for fares. The ones, parked, lying in wait, are the first ones to avoid.

However, there is a difference between looking for fares, and hunting down seemingly naive tourists.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

Frank,

I knew the place where I wanted to go

I asked the hotel to write the name and address in Thai language...

but he managed convincing me that the restaurant couldn't be approached... because of the "protests"... I even had a second choice, but even I had a good review he made me be afraid of the price of the place... He made everything to leave me with just one choice: the one he offered to me

At the very last moment, when seated on the table, my feelings were bad (not just because the prices, as each and every dish were prices equally in BHT 300, what is expensive and weird... but what caught my attention was the vibe of the place... I didn't feel happiness there... more like everybody was alao feeling bad as me... I should have left the table before ordeing :( It would be a lesson to the driver, as he would have lost the comission he surely earned at mu expenses

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

Frank,

I knew the place where I wanted to go

I asked the hotel to write the name and address in Thai language...

but he managed convincing me that the restaurant couldn't be approached... because of the "protests"... I even had a second choice, but even I had a good review he made me be afraid of the price of the place... He made everything to leave me with just one choice: the one he offered to me

At the very last moment, when seated on the table, my feelings were bad (not just because the prices, as each and every dish were priced equally in BHT 300, what is expensive and weird... but what caught my attention was the vibe of the place... I didn't feel happiness there... more like everybody was also feeling bad as me... I should have left the table before ordeing :( It would be a lesson to the driver, as he would have lost the comission he surely earned at my expenses

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

How was the food? Was the restaurant next to railway tracks?

At least you didn't lose much (hopefully). Can't really fault yourself though as the taxi really went out of his way to sell it; driving to a protest site (unless you were already near it).

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

Well, food was wasn't terrible

Next day I went to the restaurant I wanted to go previously and asked them if they were closed the night before... they said: of course, no!

I have the GPS location of the "restaurant"... I will try to find the name, cause they didn't give me a receipt and I paid cash

A protection measure we can take.... Every cab here has a picture of the driver with his english name besides other info... it seems the idea is exactly allowing the tourists to complain someway.. Now, first thing I do is taking discretely a picture of that info

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

Sounds like maybe you were taken to Somboondee Seafood Markets (near the railway tracks).

A girl friend and I had a little getaway in Bangkok and the same happened to us. We chose to stay and eat there as we had no idea where we were lol and the tuk tuk driver took off as soon as we got out :)

Do these photos look familiar?

http://tinyurl.com/lwemsfu

Lots of bad reviews on Trip Advisor as well :)

tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

Cathy

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,597 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I was scammed... yesterday

C&G

Read the blog ...

"Seafood Market Restaurant" is the one famous for "shopping" for you seafood and taking it over to be prepared. "Somboon Seafood" is a bit more "traditional".

And, if one asks to go to "Somdoon Seafood Markets", one is definitely in for a ride.

As far as going out of the way to see protest "mess", Lumpini could be convincing. If in the old city, Phanfa could do the trick.

Bottom line is never take shopping, or dining, advice from a taxi or tuk tuk driver. If they can't get to your destination, find one who can.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 02:19