We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

We will be flying into Bangkok on May 10th and will be flying out of DMK late in the evening on the 11th. We (husband and I) want to stay at a hotel/guesthouse that is affordable and in a good location so we can see things in the limited time we have.

Any suggestions? Anything we just HAVE to see while we're there? Obviously, we don't have very set plans yet, so I would love ideas.

Thanks!

Thailand
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

Depends on your interest - Bangkok has much to offer to suit different tastes. If I were you, on the 10th I'd visit Wat Po (temple of the reclining Buddha), Wat Arun (which is just across the river from Wat Po), explore the flower market (Pak Klong Talat), and go to the Siam Niramit show in the evening. Next day I'd visit the Vimanmek Mansion and Anada Samakhom Throne Hall. Since it's a weekend, I'd try to go to Chatuchak weekend market, which is an interesting open air market with some good local souvenirs. But your taste might be entirely different from mine!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,315 posts
1,907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

What is your budget for accomodation?

Tommo

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

Thank you! Those are great ideas and that was pretty much the rough plan I had.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

Thank you! Those are great ideas and that was pretty much the rough plan I had.

I was hoping to keep the accommodations under $40.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

I would look at staying riverside near a BTS station.

Then using river ferries I would visit the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun on the 10th, starting early. No way would I miss out the GP.

Then also using the river you could visit the Khoa san road and/or Chinatowm.

In the evening I would have a nice meal followed by a drink at one of Bangkoks rooftop bars. If staying riverside you could visit the Sky Bar at the Lebua hotel. Really super views of Bangkok.

The meal could be a river cruise.

Then on 11 hit JJ market.

Don't forget to read ALL the FAQ's on the right. Note, they don't show on the mobile app.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

Agree #5 Riverside for all the reasons given. Just to add Asiatique to visit by early evening with the free shuttle boat from Taksin pier

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

Ibis hotel which is situated right on the river. We stayed at the chatrium but noticed the ibis whilst we were on the ferry. Gets good reviews as well

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,446 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

$40 US is about 1200 baht. That would give you an upscale guesthouse in Banglamphu. Try Erawan House on Soi Chana Songkram. Or one of the New Siam group.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

For what to do in Bangkok have a read through the FAQ's located on your right hand screen.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i28266-Trip_…

10. Re: Place to stay in Bangkok? And must-see things?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:16