We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

Hi,

I had read about protests in Feb, and now some recent news is coming about the protests. Will there be any issues in visiting Bangkok and Pattaya at this time.

Thanks,

Anurag

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

Nobody can say what it will be like in Bangkok in June .

I would guess Pattaya will be fine.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

Anurag pattya will be very safe. About Bangkok it won't be completely safe or completely unsafe. Situation is positive

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
8 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

Hi, Bangkok is safe if you don't go to the protest area.

Temple sightseeing is fine, but do worry about being tricked from the locals

Pattaya is totally okay, no problem at all.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
108 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

I am scheduled to travel to Bangkok tomorrow and I perhaps have been foolishly lazy and did not think about reconsidering the time. But today it dawns on me that I should at least find out where the protest sites are located. I will be staying at Le Meridian on Surawong Road on May 14, 15 and in Sheraton Sukumvit on May 16 and 17. Can any friend from Bangkok tell me if these hotels and their access routes from Suvarnavum Airport are free from protesters, at least as of now? Will truly appreciate this information.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

For most people, the biggest threat to one's safety is one's self.

Avoid the protests, keep your senses, and be polite at all times.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

More chance of being mugged by a ladyboy at 3 am in the morning on Walking St Pattaya than anything happening to you in Bangkok!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
5,423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

We recently returned from a six night stay and didn't feel unsafe at any time. As suggested above and on other threads concerning safety in the city, if you use normal precautions and act prudently, it is doubtful that you will have problems with safety.

Until your trip, I would continue to monitor the situation here as well as checking your national advisory for Thailand. Hopefully the situation will remain calm in the main tourist areas so you can enjoy your trip to Bangkok.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

Also, keep an eye on Richard Barrow's Twitter feed. He often gives updates on protest sites and events. Bangkok Post is a good source for longer articles.

Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I am planning to travel in June 1st week. Still not decided whether to go ahead with bookings :|

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to visit Bangkok in June this year

If the situation gets to a point were there is serious risk to non-participants, foreign offices will be firing off travel alerts, right and left.

Until that point, the worst most will encounter might be delays or other inconveniences.

Over the years, I have often been, and continue to be, annoyed. But, I have never really felt "unsafe".