We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling via Bangkok with my father next month and have ~7hr to kill before the connecting flight.

My first flight arrives at: 16:35 (Saturday)

The second flight leaves at 00:10 (Sunday morning)

What I'm thinking of doing is taking a train into the city, grabbing dinner, walking around a little, and then returning to the airport. Does this sound OK? Do you recommend any locations/stations where we should travel to?

Also, is it safe? I understand there's a lot of political issues going on at the moment so is there a chance we could get into trouble and/or the trains be delayed?

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Hi Paul,

It's quite doable if you strive to get back to the Airport by 10 pm latest. You either could back-track via the train or just hop onto a taxi. Don't think there will be a traffic jam at that hour.

You could consider going to Terminal 21 or the Siam area. The latter has the Siam Paragon, Siam Centre & Siam Discovery all in a row of malls. Thee places have many shopping & dining options which would soak up all of your spare time.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 05:05
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

You would be crazy not to as you could easily have a good 4 hrs to eat and wander around. To be safe, plan on a 45 min trip each way including the MRT or BTS leg whether to Siam or Sukhumvit.

You can check the times for the ARL Cityline here, http://srtet.co.th/en/index.html

And this map gives you a clear understanding of the BKK metro network. Note that unlike Sydney you need a different ticket for the ARL, MRT & BTS - they are not integrated.

bts.co.th/customer/…02-route-current_new.aspx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Thanks for the reply wongchinhong.

How much cash should I withdraw for the excursion? I imagine I'll be able to pay for the meal with credit card but I imagine I"ll need cash for the train and taxi ride?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Thanks Yappofloyd.

I had a look at Sukhumvit's TA reviews and it appears to be fairly 'adult orientated'? We'll probably give that a miss.

Siam looks nice - we might check that out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

To save getting another train ticket, would it be OK to jump on the train at the airport and then go right to the end of the airport link and then just walk the ~1-2kms south to Siam Square? We're both fairly fit and having just sat on a plane for 9hrs with another 10 coming up we'll be keen to move the legs.

Then jump into a taxi and return to the airport by 10ish.

Are we likely to get into any trouble with the protests...etc?

Thanks again!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,102 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Hi,

It's relatively easy to get a ticket for the Skytrain, I would choose it over walking to Siam. Save your energy for walking around a mall or two. As it presently stands you will not encounter protests.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Yes you could easily walk from ARL Phaya Thai station to Siam area. However, it is bloody hot at the moment, similar to a 40 degree plus day in Sydney in the middle of Feb so just take the BTS 2 stations and do the walking in the malls or evening when it will be a little cooler.

No protest sites near there but do check the news on landing as they can move around.

Taking a taxi at 9-10 from Siam will mean an initial slow ride in traffic which is bad around that time but expect a trip time of 40-60mins. It would be easier to BTS it to Ploenchit station (E2) and use exit 3 and take a taxi right there as it can then enter the expressway (just 50m to the west), bts.co.th/customer/…E2_update.gif

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Thanks for the replies.

By the time we'd get through customs...etc we wouldn't get into Siam square until 6:30ish so it would still be quite hot them?

Would we be saving much time by taking a taxi back to the airport? Would a train be just as fast?

Also, can I by the train tickets via card?

Edited: 17 May 2014, 08:04
Udon Thani
Level Contributor
137 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

At that time it is still VERY hot

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ~7 layover in Bangkok - train into the city for dinner?

Hi Paul,

If you choose to go to Siam, 6.30 pm is about to cool off. But since you both would be in the air-con malls, it should be quite comfortable there.

Also, the malls have a myriad of international & thai restaurants which accept credit cards. But if you choose to have dinner at the food-courts, which I strongly encourage you both to try out, they will only accept cash-cards purchased by cash.

Taxis are not easy to get in the Siam area in the evening. Suggest you take the BTS instead as it's a short walk away. The train stations (BTS/ARL) will dispense tickets for cash only.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 09:28