We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living Costs in Bangkok

Oxford, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Living Costs in Bangkok

I am going to be spending ~10 weeks in Bangkok doing a research project this summer, and need to provide a breakdown of my estimated living costs for my travel grant application. Accommodation aside (as it will be provided for me) approximately how much should food etc. cost for 10 weeks?

melbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living Costs in Bangkok

Have you looked on YouTube there is many expats who have videos on this type of thing.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living Costs in Bangkok

How long is a piece of string really. If eating at a mix of street stalls and the odd 'nice' restaurant - I'd say around 3-4,000 baht a week- depends. othe costs such as taxis, skytrain, drinks and snacks perhaps another 3,000 or so.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living Costs in Bangkok

You can get a cup of coffee for 25 Bht or for 250 Bht. All depends on your lifestyle.

Do you partly cater for yourself or do you eat all meals out? What type of transport do you need from where you will be staying? Taxi, bus, skytrain, MRT?

A retired expat told me the other day that he needs on average 1000 Bht/day. He has a 150 Bht coffee, he eats a restaurant lunch on average for 500 Bht. The 1000 do not incl. transport. You can eat for less but not Western food.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living Costs in Bangkok

I had lunch today, chicken and rice with a coke, very nice cost Bt60, you can get a good dinner for Bt200. Large bottle of beer Bt60 in 7/11, in local Thai pubs about Bt100.

cheers

Jack - TheRiverSideBangkok

Edited: 20 May 2014, 11:35
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living Costs in Bangkok

Hi Amber,

The answer depends on the lifestyle you desire. The basic needs of an expatriate are different than those of a person, say a Westerner, who's living his retirement in Thailand.

From a perspective of a working Asian, my expectations on weekly expenditures would be:

1) Food - Bht 7,000

2) Transport - 1,500

3) Entertainment - 3,500

4) Massages - 2,500

5) Personal items - 1,500

Total is Bht 16,000 equating to approx. US$500/week.

Of course, you could choose to save on certain expenditures such as massages which are a must in my case.

Happy calculating.

6. Re: Living Costs in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17