We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe walking the streets at night

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Safe walking the streets at night

Hi

We are staying in Bangkok this weekend near the MBK mall and was just wondering how safe it was to walk the streets in that area after dark. Our hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the mall and we were wondering if we are ok to walk or would we be better taking a taxi the short distance.

Thank you for your help.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

Which hotel?

And yes its safe, just don't wander down dark unlit alleyways.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

Hi Kiwi,

As far as I know, it's very safe for one to walk around MBK even at night, say up to 10 pm. I'm not saying it's not safe after 10 pm as I've not done so at that hour.

But after a shopping binge or if you're worn out, you might just take a taxi from the taxi stand @ the rear of the 1st level, just behind the supermarket. It would cost just NZ$1.50 to take up to 4 people back to your hotel.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

Thank you for your replies - very reassuring.

We are staying at Siam@Siam.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

MBK isn't even a 5 min walk. Cross the road via National Stadium Station.

MBK is a bit dated now. Paragon and Central world are more up to date. I didn't enjoy my last stay at your hotel though. Had gone downhill from previous stays.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

You can walk to siam, mbk and paragon

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

Everyone should understand that martial law was imposed by the Thai military on Tuesday of this week. The military states that it was not a coup but for the purpose of ensuring safety. Although the military are very noticeable in Bangkok it appears that the same is not for other areas, including Phuket. It also is evident that personal safety has improved although 29 countries have so far issued travel advisories related to travel to ThailandEveryone should understand that martial law was imposed by the Thai military on Tuesday of this week. The military states that it was not a coup but for the purpose of ensuring safety. Although the military are very noticeable in Bangkok it appears that the same is not for other areas, including Phuket. It also is evident that personal safety has improved although 29 countries have so far issued travel advisories related to travel to Thailand

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

I often stay near mbk and have returned after late night drinking sessions at all hours of the night and have never once had any problems. A very safe area.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

I would imagine that with the recent 9 or 10 pm curfew in place, drinking hours will be curtailed.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

Hi Skeezix,

The current curfew applies also to all activities including shopping, supermarkets,restaurants, night markets, massages, spas, night street food stalls, nightclubs, bars, currency exchanges & so on. It affects practically all aspects of nocturnal life.

If imposed over a long period, the impact on BKK's economy would be disastrous..

Edited: 22 May 2014, 13:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe walking the streets at night

Hi SkeezixVancouver ,

Its a nationwide curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m

In Bangkok I gather the BTS will be closing at 9pm, shopping centers closing at 8pm, all pubs will be closed early, guess some wont even bother to open.