We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

Hi fellow T.A,

Bangkok, Chiang Mai & Pattaya

I would really like some advice on how long to stay in each place, and how you would do it, in which order, I presume flying to Chiang Mai... I did see you can do the train.

Can I do this trip in 2 weeks? it will be sometime in 2015.

We will be flying from Brisbane, Queensland Australia.

There is just the 2 of us with our 5 yr old.

Thanks in advance, happy travels.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

Hi

If with 5 years old I would give Pattaya a miss. Don't get me wrong Pattaya is not bad as the press says but if you like clean swimmable beach then perhaps look at some where else. If you like the beach not too from BKK then Hua Hin, cha-um or koh samet.

Its depends on time of year of your travel. You could do Ao nang ( krabi province ) , Khao lak ( Phang Nga province ), koh Chang ( Trad ) koh Samui. Thailand is easy to travel by bus, train and planes.

If you nave two weeks I would suggest

BKK 2 nights beginning of your trip and 2 nights. From BKK fly direct to Chaingmai ( to minimize travel time) or by over night train stay for 6 nights.

The rest for beach time. From June - October rainy season in west coast ( Phuket, krabi, Phang Nga) and the islands of Trad. October - December rainy season in east coast ( Samui). The rest of the year are pretty much the same all over Thailand.

Hope this help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

I would do Bangkok 3 nights, Chiang Mai 4 nights and last 7 nights on the beach.

But like Sweetpea my beach area would not be Pattaya. But thats just my opinion.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

I would agree with above at least 3 days in Bangkok and 4 in Chiang Mai, I too would give Pattaya a swerve if you are wanting to go in the sea and give Hua Hin a try.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

If you definitely want to stay in Pattaya, choose a good hotel with a good pool and facilities in North-Pattaya and stay there only. Both enviroment, people and sea/beach are not very recommendablee for families.

Udon Thani
Level Contributor
137 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

If in the first half of 2015 I'd suggest making the trip Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok. That's the 3 most popular places to visit and is easy with a 5-year old.

In Bangkok stay somewhere that has a pool and close to the BTS. Between seeing sights the pool and maybe eating at a mall and giving the child some time in that malls arcade / child area keeps him entertained. Siam Ocean World, Safari World and even just taking the BTS are things my 3-year son and 6-year old niece like in Bangkok but is plenty of other options. I'd suggest for Bangkok well planning what it is you want to see. Go through the attractions page of tripadvisor making notes and then map out a rough what would like to do list. Then you can decide how many days you likely need. There is no shortage of things to do there, but having a rough plan in advanced is much more ideal.

With Chiang Mai I think with a child 3-4 nights is fine. Some people want to do much more than others and often see recommended to go longer. For me I don't need too long. Doi Suthep, Bosang, Elephants and the markets. If enjoy markets make sure to be in Chiang Mai during the weekend for the large one. For the elephants Maesa Elephant Camp the elephants paint, play football, and they put on a good show. Some people like Elephant Nature Park more which is further away, more expensive and done as a tour and is much different (but the ethical side is supposedly better). Can read about them both. For those 3. Doi Suthep, Bosang and Maesa Elephant Camp all those can be done in a single day (also can Tiger Kingdom with it if wanting to do that too). I find the zoo pathetic but tend to stroll through there anyways when people have never been. Night Safari is something else people do (I like Safari World in Bangkok much better).

Whatever time is left I suggest Phuket. Maybe stay Karon beach or the far end of Patong. Or better description for Patong between Novotel Patong Kathu which is on far end up to at least a few street before Bangla Road which is the bar area. The big draw here is the beaches, great views and excellent (though pricey by Thai standards) food of all varieties. It is worth either renting a car or hiring a van to explore a little. Not really in the tourist area but only like 5 minutes from the airport the two Hat Nai beaches are beautiful is inside Sirinat National Park (have to pay to enter and is done with a car) the beach in this area outside the park is decent stop too. Phrompthep Cape is great place to be at sunset and IMO a near must do. Karon View Point takes only a few minutes but is nice to stop look and take some photos. Big Buddha is another attraction that is popular. Mentioned but I don't think is huge on the tourist map, I really like the various Chinese temples in Phuket Town. I mean that's just a few things mentioned as things to do between time at the beach, eating out along the beach using hotel pool etc.

So ideally I'd take some time and figure how much time you need in Bangkok, how much in Chiang Mai and then spend rest of time on beach. If time on the beach isn't enough start chopping some things off the two list in other areas.

Via AirAsia you can do all this in direct flights. They tend to have a lot of sales, the newest staring in 9 hours from now (midnight 1 June in Thai time) for Big members, and 24 hour later for non Big members (that's their rewards program). But as plenty of time, just subscribe to their promotional emails and wait for a sale. Flying domestic in Thailand can be very inexpensive when waiting for the sales.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

Thanks for everybody's input, this will give me heaps to think about.

Thanks Jim G great read!

Happy Travels to all

7. Re: Itinerary Help - Experts Plz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:16