We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go?

My husband and I are going to Thailand next month, and will spend one week

in Bangkok first. The next two weeks we want to spend at a beach resort, but we don't know where. We would like to stay at a place with nice beaches and nice restaurants, but we don't care about nightlife. We like quiet places, but all the places we have looked at, seems rather busy. I think we would have liked Ko Chang and Ko Mak if it hadn't been for the rain! The previous two summers, we've been in Vietnam (Hoi An and Hué), so I guess we are spoilt:-) Any suggestions from anybody?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,901 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

Thong Nai Pan Yai or Noi on Koh Phangan would probably fit the bill.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

I wouldn't stay a week in Bangkok, I'd split it up with Chiang Mai in the North, then head to the Gulf coast for the other 2 weeks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

I would also look at spending some time in Chiang Mai before hitting the beaches on the Gulf coast.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

One of the nicest places I have been to is a place called Cha Ahm down the western side on the inside of the gulf. Nice beaches good local restaurants and not as hectic as Hua Hin further down the road. Motorcycle hire is cheap and a good way to get around. I think you will need the break after a week in Bangkok.

Cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Huahin

Captain Cook, Hawaii
Level Contributor
114 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

For me Chiang Mai is just a baby Bangkok.

skip it and head for the beach

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go?

Yes, sounds good, but where?

Ayutthaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ayutthaya
Level Contributor
883 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go?

My vote would be for a few days at Railay, close to Krabi. (It's not an island, but you need a boat to get there.) Krabi has wonderful seafood, and Railay has spectacular scenery.

See, for example, postcardsfromthailand.com/2008/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go?

"For me Chiang Mai is just a baby Bangkok."

That’s just a ridiculous statement.

Head to the Eat (Gulf) coast after Bangkok and Chiang mai for your beach time. Koh phangan or Koh Tao.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 11:33
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go?

Bangkok shouldn't just be dismissed. It's a concrete jungle, but one with a great background. Last time we were there we had a blast! We did a river cruise via our hotel, did two walks and a day trip with Bangkok Walking Adventures and did a cooking course with the Blue Elephant. Lovely stuff! There's so much to see and do beyond the places where the masses go - lining up for hours and getting fleeced, you could do something different every day for a month and still not have done everything. In Chiang Mai we loved Flight of the Gibbon, a treetop trip through the forest there. Amazing! Also went to the Sankampheng hot springs and went to a elephant conservation camp, where they take perfect care of the animals.

If you like quiet beaches and don't want to stray too far from Bangkok, go to Koh Samed. One part of the island is busy, the other is really quiet. Hope you have a good time!