We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours. Book them before going or not?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tours. Book them before going or not?

Got all my accommodation/travel sorted for going to BKK in 3 weeks now looking at sorting out what I want to do while I'm there. I'm looking to do a few tours, particularly Ayutthaya. As I'm going alone looking for tours in groups that would have similar youngish traveller folk.

Should I book tours before I get there online (something like http://www.bangkok.com/river-cruise-tours/riversun.html?pid=AWINP70) or wait until I'm there and do it ad-hoc?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya Province, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,207 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours. Book them before going or not?

Hi Malcolm,

I would book the tours once you have arrived in Bangkok. Just about every hotel has a tour/travel agent within its premises.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
17,155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours. Book them before going or not?

Besides hotel tour desks many travel agencies also book tours for you. Choose and pay one day and leave the next morning with pick up at your hotel. These are usually passenger vans. Sometimes you are lucky and get a lot of women on board and sometimes maybe fat old men and their wives. You can ask if there is van with more young tourists.

Tours you book in Bangkok, and major cities, through travel agencies are usually cheaper than what you get through the internet. Plus no currency conversion charges or whatever fees they add to the internet transaction. Ayudthaya, River Kwai, Ancient Cities, and other popular tours leave every day.

(Tours. I find it helpful to include a book, sun block, partial roll of TP, sunglasses and moist hand wipes in my walk-around bag. The wet-wipes will come in handy to clean your hands off before touching any food you intend to put in your mouth. A ball cap can help keep sun and rain off your face.)

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours. Book them before going or not?

Agree with everything Infidelal said.

Don't forget your camera!

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours. Book them before going or not?

I always book when I get there as it gives you a much better negotiating position to get a good deal - especially in the low season when good discounts can be got. Tour agencies are literally everywhere.

For most tours you only need book the day before. That way you can have a better idea of what the weather is likely to do and can get recommendations from people you meet.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours. Book them before going or not?

Hi guys

Thanks for all this thread of information. It have really help me decide on my tour booking. As I will going to BBk on 11/06/14.

6. Re: Tours. Book them before going or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:15