We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Bangkok and KohSamui. we plan to land in Bangkok on the 29th Julymorning and leave for KohSamui on 31st July. I wanted to know if the season is alright for Bangkok and Kohsamui or will my holiday just get drained out with the rains. I also wanted to know if its politically the right months to visit thailand, as I hear that the elections are near and there have been a few political disturbances in the near past

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

It is the rainy season in Thailand in that month, but does not mean there wont be sunshine. Samui is a magical place and there always plenty to do all day long. As for the poltical situation, the curfew has just been lifted from the tourist islands and as far as I know there is nothing to worry about.

Just stay away from Protest areas in BKK and avoid big crowds.

Enjoy your holiday

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

We have just left, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi are Safe and Fun.

Army and Police are happy to pose for photos but they do keep the finger on the trigger

"I think the safety is on ha ha"

Wife and I have photos with Army Tank, Soldiers & Police never have I seen soldiers so happy to be in photos smiling and waving

Im in Bangkok now leave in two weeks. Stay away from hot spots there is no problem at all...

News and tv are blowing all things out of control. Life is happy 12o'clock curfew is a bit of a bummer but don't really mind cuts down on drinking money haha

Ps. Stay away from Pattaya its not worth the wasted time. The sewer smell, Beaches covered in Broken Glass its good for a laugh looking is a sport here but it smells so much we left

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

I should also say you will need to look for the army they are not roaming the streets most of the time the only trouble we see is on TV.

Hotel put notice under door one day "stay away from such and such street but other than that its great"

Hope you like the heat

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

Koh Samui

No Curfew and party party party

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

Thankyou Drew and BigMo...I hope I'll have a nice time then :). Also, I guess Koh Samui will not see so much rain right?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,531 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

BigMo78 , is wrong. July is not the rainy season in Thailand !!!

It is the rainy season on the West (Andaman) cost but its dry season on the East (Gulf) coast.

Koh Samui is East coast so weather should be good in July.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

Alright, so will Bangkok also be decent in end of July?

Udon Thani
Level Contributor
137 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

Yes

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

Hi! also wanted to know...have heard too much about the nightlife but I am not able to decide on what's the best to be explored considering I'll have just two nights in Bangkok

Nicosia, Nicosia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bangkok and KohSamui in late July

I was in Thailand a few years ago late July to early August. In Bangkok it only rained in the evening, but it didn't spoil any of our plans. In Koh Phi Phi it was cloudy most of the time and it did rain occasionally, which was annoying because we couldn't hire a boat to Maya Bay because of the weather. We managed to do it the next day though when it was kind sunny, but still not sunny enough to get a tan. In Koh Samui the weather was much better, and from what I remember it didn't rain at all in 3-4 days. Of course this must be a coincidence, but they say that the weather is better in the east coast during the rainy season that on the west coast.