We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different day trip

Hamilton Island...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Different day trip

Hello,

I'll be arriving in Bangkok in 2 weeks for my third time round and I'm looking for a different day trip to do, I have done most of the regular stuff and would like to stay away from anything to do with animal exploitation (not my thing), would appreciate any ideas...

Also should add I'm travelling solo and would prefer a group trip as not the best solo traveller...

Thanks in advance...

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,500 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Different day trip

"Also should add I'm travelling solo and would prefer a group trip as not the best solo traveller..."

On your previous two trips to Bangkok did you ever visit a travel agency and see what tours they routinely send out every day? You get picked up at your hotel front door, take you on whatever tour you want, then when over return you back to your hotel. In a van with 6 to 9 other passengers you get a chance to meet other tourists.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293916-Activiti…

Hop on the Skytrain and head for Bearing. Visit that end of Bangkok, taxi to Erawan Museum.

bangkok-travel-ideas.com/erawan-museum.html

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k585…

Have you been to other cities like Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Hua Hin?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,242 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different day trip

You might enjoy heading up to Nonthaburi, via the Chao Phraya express boats. It's a heck of a great deal at 15 baht!

Once there, head a few hundred meters inland to Nonthaburi wet market. It's a huge, down and dirty market.

You mightGoogle "bangkok bicycle tours"and see if anything of interest pops up.

Khon Kaen, Thailand
Level Contributor
394 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different day trip

Ko Si Chang is a nice place to walk around and Chachoengsao province has many interesting off-beat places, but I doubt there are group tours to either of them. So, I will agree with OctoberSix that you should consider a bike trip. Most of them get off the bike often to visit place, so they are not strenuous. I did a bike trip through Samut Songkram province with BIke & Travel that included stops at coconut plantations and fruit orchards and a boat ride in a canal. It was very flat riding, so easy, and lots of fun. Also, I know people who did tours with Spice Roads and Grasshopper Adventures and they liked them.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different day trip

Ancient City would get my vote for Bangkok. About a 45 minutes taxi ride to the east of the city to Samut Prakan. It's a beautiful park, Thailand in miniature set over 300 acres.

Also you could take a one hour train journey to from the old Wongwian Yai train station to the market town of Mahachai to the south west of Bangkok for only 10 Baht. Take BTS to Wongwian Yai then the old station is around the corner about a km away. This journey takes you through some stunning swampy countryside. There's a further stretch of railway line beyond MahaChai ending up at Maeklong which I've never got round to doing.

I like Koh SiChang, but for me its an overnighter, to take in the old palace on one side of the island and the big Chinese temple on a hill at the other side.

As mentioned #2 Nonthaburi is a very good 15 Baht, near one hour journey from Taksin Bridge. Nice market town with many cycle Rickshaws on the road. If your ambitious and have the time you could take in the nearby Koh Kred an island in the estuary.

Hamilton Island...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Different day trip

Thanks for the help everyone got some good ideas on what to do...

cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
651 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different day trip

You could try the day trip to Ayutthaya. You go on a boat to Ayutthaya, have lunch on the boat and then come back to Bangkok. I got the boat from the pier at the Oriental Hotel, not sure where the tickets came from but I would think travel shops our your hotel could assist.

The tour can also be done in reverse.

7. Re: Different day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16