We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

I'll be arriving at DMK from Phuket at 15:50 on a weekday. I've already looked into the various options for transportation and figure I'll take the metered taxi via tollway and I'm looking at staying at a hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 2.

Given that it's prime time for rush hour, does anyone have a guess for how much time I can expect to budget for arriving at my hotel?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

Could be slow. Maybe one hour, even 1.5 hours if you're unlucky.

A bus or taxi to the BTS Skytrain and then BTS to Ploenchit would be a lot faster, but might be crowded. If you're staying at Aspen Suites, they operate a complimentary tuktuk shuttle service to Sukhumvit Road near the BTS.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

Ouch, thanks. Everything I'd read til now suggested that taxi would be faster than transit, but maybe that's not the case in rush hour. I was hoping to dump my luggage off at the hotel and run over to MBK to catch some of the fights, but I might only catch the tail end. (And by run, I mean transit.)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

I think BIl is over stating it.

You are taking the tollway for the journey (125 baht all up) I would guess the actual trip will take 30 mins, 45 max at that time. You'll be quick on the tollway from the airport as you are going against most of the afternoon peak, it will slow up a little around Din Daeng when you change over to another tollway and the last 1km before exiting onto Sukhumvit will be jammed up but it is really difficult to see the time being more than 45mins max. The tollway exit onto Sukhumvit is also immediately adjacent to soi 2.

However, the one thing that could really slow you (sometimes a 20-30 wait) is using the official AOT taxi stand at arrival level as at that time of the afternoon there will be a lot of people waiting. If that is the case, I'd suggested you take a an arriving taxi from the depature level. Many people do this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

Thanks, that's definitely helpful.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

Well, Yappofloyd, the last time I took a taxi from DMK to centre town in the late afternoon, it did indeed take more than one hour, with a 20-minute hold up just for getting off the Expressway. But as I expressed in my posting, maybe that was just bad luck.

The run from DMK to Mo Chit in a taxi is about 20 minutes. From Mo Chit to Ploenchit on the BTS it's just 17 minutes -- no red lights and no traffic jams. But at that time of day the trains will be packed full. Since you're getting on at the terminus you will probably get a seat though.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

Yes it can happen and assuming that you are referring to the exit off the Expressway to Sukhumvit near soi 2 then yes it can take 15-20 mins to just exit off the expressway especially for those turning right towards Ploenchit. Add in heavy rain and an accident and it can be more.

However, my time estimates are based on a good friend who does this trip (from north of the airport) every single workday. He normally averages 35-40 mins for a longer distance. It can take longer, closer to an hour when the rain is heavy.

Of course, none of us can predict for the OP but she at least has info which should answer her concern about having enough time to get to MBK .

7. Re: DMK to Sukhumvit by taxi during late afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17