We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
743 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

Hello,

We arrive in Bangkok early August with 2 small children - aged 1 and 4. Its our first time in the city and we would probably be doing the regular touristy trail - temples, palaces, cruise, eating, shopping, zoo and also a trip to Ayyuthaya elephant park, tiger temple thrown in.

My question was is Bangkok stroller friendly? Is it convenient to travel by BTS with 2 children, pram, diaper bag, camera case, shoulder bag, etc? Should we just taxi?

Any other children related issues that you have advice on? Thanks,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,069 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

I' sure I'll be contradicted, but I don't see Bangkok as stroller friendly. The condition of sidewalks is bad and they are usually crowded with vendors.

And, I have noticed the few stroller packing people that I have encountered don't seem to be all that aware that they share the path with other people..

Edited: 14 June 2014, 08:28
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

Hi,

Totally agree with OctoberSix, I couldn't imagine trying to use a stroller in Bangkok, or in fact anywhere in Thailand. The footpaths are in poor condition, and are not stroller or wheelchair friendly. Navigating between crowds of people and street vendors will be a challenge. The shopping centres would be okay, so maybe a very lightweight stroller that has a strap and you can sling it over your shoulder until you get into a shopping centre could work.

MCG

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

when my son was little we took a lightweight stroller, the fold down type.....not necessarily pram friendly but managable....no different from all the people who drag those bag trolleys around...and much better than having to carry a kid everywhere...mind you 6 years on I still wonder how we managed to get the pram up over those overpasses..amazing what you can do if u have too..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

I am with OctoberSix on this it is not a great place for strollers uneven pavements very high kerbs and street vendors constantly occupying all of the pavement forcing you out into the road to pass them, and that is without factoring in the motorcycle taxis that consider the pavements an extension of the road.

Most BTS stations have flights of steps up to them although to be fair there is often an escalator on one of the access points (not much good if it's on the opposite side of a really busy road though)

Don't know how old the kids are but assuming one is a baby I would suggest a baby sling might be a better option.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

I was in Bangkok last October with my 2 year old son. I took a lightweight stroller and it wasn't the easiest pushing a pram around the city, but it did help in the evening when the little one was tired. I found it easy to use around asiatquie as it's open and flat, but a real pain getting it up and down for the BTS. I also found it helpful for the airport. I'll be in Bangkok again this August with my children and I plan to take the stroller.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

No it's not stroller friendly, but then Bangkok itself is not really kid friendly in terms of the heat, crowds etc, but you will still enjoy the benefits of having a lightweight, fold up stroller when the kids are tired and hot.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 01:04
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,069 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

Strollers aside, as Cassnu points out, Bangkok isn't really kid friendly. Even more importantly, it's not kid proof.

You will need to keep an eye out for stray animals, bare electrical wires, readily accessible cooking burners and open railings. You will need to keep the kids on a short leash!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

.... but you will still have a good time and there are plenty of shopping malls with kid friendly spaces : )

I would consider getting one of those harness things for the four year old though so that you can "keep the kids on a short leash" when they do want to walk a bit. Both your children are bound to want to sleep at some point in the day, if nothing else the heat will knock them out, so I still see benefits in getting two cheap, foldable strollers for getting around, that way you can always head to a nice air conditioned shopping mall and still do some shopping whilst they sleep and grab something to eat etc.

You might find this useful:

travelwireasia.com/2012/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

I too agree Bangkok is not stroller friendly. Way too many steps in pavements etc. Maybe a baby sling could help for the little one. My five and nine year olds absolutely loved Bangkok.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stroller/Pram in Bangkok

The best stroller is one that folds up compact as possible, but has large wheels. The cheap umbrella strollers are almost useless, except in hotels and shopping malls, because the wheels are too small. We had one that folded like the umbrella type, but had larger wheels, and it worked up to a point. It needs to be light, because you will carry it up and down steps. Taxis will probably be easier than BTS. If your hotel is very close to the Skytrain, that may work. Most side streets in Bangkok do not have sidewalks. The main streets do, and while the sidewalks have gotten better, they are still rough with frequent high curbs.

A taxi that you get in at the hotel and then delivers you as close as possible to where you want to go is easiest. Wave down a moving taxi under most circumstances. Larger hotels will frequently have a txi rank, but go to the doorman to get the taxi. The taxis outside of shopping malls at the taxi rank are usually fine. Never hire a taxi that is parked on the side of the road or where you are solicited by the driver. When you leave a tourist sight, walk past all of the taxis at the exit and go to where you can flag down a moving taxi.

Carry the absolute minimum stuff you will need. One bag per adult at most. A two seat stroller will be a big pain. The older one will either need to walk or share the stroller time.

The big use for the stroller is actually in the airports. If the older one still uses it, you will probably find it useful to gate check the stroller for each leg. Even if you leave it in the room while in Bangkok. On the flight you will need to allocate your carry on space carefully. While the older one is entitled to a carry on, he will not be able to carry much himself. You will have to move the kids and your carry ons through the airports, and that could be a challenge.