We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

Not so much a question, but a tip for when you're buying tickets for travel on the BTS from the platform ticket vending machines. Once I used to purchase our tickets for a single journey to our destination, which meant we had to line up again come the time to return. Now I buy our return tickets at the same time. Saves a lot of hassle, especially when you'r tired out, say from a day out shopping.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,435 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

Even better get a card and load some credit on the card.Much easier.

Tommo

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

Thanks Keith,

I hadn't thought of doing that, saves queuing for change and the ticket, good idea.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
437 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

We buy a Rabbit card and load on value as we need. When we;re ready for home we hand back the ticket and they refund the THB50 deposit plus any unused cash.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

Tommo, thanks. I guess you were alluding to a Rabbit Card as put forward by fullydepreciated055.I havn't ever gone down the way of a Rabbit card, only a All Day Travel Pass. But I will use a Rabbit next February when next we are in Bangkok. Can 2 of us use the Rabbit? Are we able to use it at each turnstyle, passing it back? Also, what's the process of its purchase - at the platform counter?

Thanks also to you, fullydepreciated., much appreciated.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

I've always used a Rabbit Card. Don't have to bother queueing, don't need spare change & don't need to work out how the ticket machines work.

Just buy them at the ticket counter

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

No, you cannot use it for two people at the same time. You would need two cards. You can buy the cards at the BTS booth. The Rabbit website says they are 300 baht each-- 150 for issuing fee, 50 for a deposit, and 100 usable credit. I thought I read somewhere that there was a special reduced price now, but I cant find it...

Edited: 17 June 2014, 05:58
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

Hi

I usually buy the all day pass when i will be traveing laround all day so convient not haveing to buy tickets

all day. and when I am finsihed and back at my last stop going home I try and give it to a person

as i am leaving station if i see them buying a ticket from kiosk.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

We bought the rabbit cards and loaded up with some credit ,it has a 3 year validity ,which works out well as we have been to Bangkok every year for the last 3 years and you can use the rabbit card as a debit card at quite a few stores (burger king etc)just look for the rabbit sign on the counter,hope this helps a bit

Edited: 17 June 2014, 08:15
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

sawadeeka, I do exactly the same thing. People tend to shy off when I make the offer. My wife says don't (but I do).

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A tip when buying tickets for travel on the BTS

Love the rabbit cards. We will be using them again in August. How fast are those turnstiles? You scan that card and better get your butt through there before they close again! My daughter runs through so she doesn't get hit. I got a nasty bruise the first time I visited Bangkok, thanks to the turnstile!