We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLUS atm network availability?

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
PLUS atm network availability?

hi,

we normally use the cirrus/ maestro atm card but our current bank is linked to the plus network.

I was wondering if they were as popular in bangkok and chiang mai as the cirrus or whether they are non existent or something in between.

We go next week and I'm debating whether to open another bank account just for this trip.

Thanks,

Carla

Middle East
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: PLUS atm network availability?

Hi Carls888

For the first time on holidaying in a foreign country, we chose to only use ATM's and, at a push, our credit cards on our recent trip to Bangkok , rather than hassling with travellers cheques. I was also slightly apprehensive about this, but had absolutely no problems using the ATMs at all.

Most hotels will have ATMs in the foyer, which I was happier to use rather than those in shopping centres. My fear was having my card swallowed and not being able to be there when it was retrieved. I'm also sure that they were all PLUS friendly.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PLUS atm network availability?

There is no real problem cashing traveller's checks in Thailand. There are bank branches all over that will cash them providing you have your passport for identification.

The fee to cash a TC is 33 baht, much cheaper than the ATM fee you pay for each withdrawal.

If you use travellers checks some credit unions sell TC's without any fees for their members. Only get the largest denominations since the fee you pay to cash them is based on a "per check" basis. Stick with the $100 or 100 Euro denominations or higher.

If you make ATM withdrawals take out enough to last for several days since you will accrue a fee for each ATM use and the interest of course!

Any excess Thai baht can be changed back to your home currency at the airport when you depart.

AL

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PLUS atm network availability?

Plus ATMs are easily available but not universal. You should have no problem worse than having to go to the next machine. The vast majority accept Plus.

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PLUS atm network availability?

Thankyou all for replying.

We generally use ATM's and VISA card for larger purchases. But have never relied on PLUS before.

I thought it would be ok as it is linked to the VISA network, but it's better to be sure than sorry.

Carla

5. Re: PLUS atm network availability?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 14:17