We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest market?

Essex
Level Contributor
21 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest market?

I am currently staying in Eastin hotel, Sathorn. I have done the Palace, temples etc and now want to take my sixteen yr old son shopping for t shirts, sunglasses and boy stuff!! where is cheapest near to me and how best to get there, this is my last day. Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest market?

The nearest spot might be Lalaisap, a short walk from the Chng Nonsi BTS, one stop away from Surasak. You might also find stuff along Silom Road.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/m43798t

If that doesn't pan out, hop back on the BTS and head to MBK Center, at the National Stadium BTS. The pricing will be a little higher. But, you will be spoiled for choice.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 02:59
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest market?

The cheapest place for all sorts of stuff is Bobae market. That's where may of the stallholders in other markets shop for merchandise. But MBK is much more varied in its selection of good-priced stuff on sale. I would not visit Bobae on a short first visit to Bangkok. Rather, I'd recommend MBK for its range of goods, and its vibe.

Don't miss the cinema area, and the other attractions on the same floor as the cinemas. Your son may thank you.

Malmö
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest market?

Yes, take him to MBK.

BTS to National Stadium, there is a skybridge entry to MBK 3rd floor. Walk straight through mall on 3rd floor to other end, and you'll find Fashion Zone. A maze of clothes stalls where your son is sure to find what he wants. Not much haggling needed in general, even fixed prices exist. Not the cheapest, but reasonable and you won't get cheated. In street markets you really need to know the rock bottom price to get it, otherwise you'll likely pay more than at MBK.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 10:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest market?

Perhaps the technology market might be of interest to him? There were heaps of sunglasses and other "boy" stuff there as well. Video games, t-shirts. Pantip Plaza is very easy to get to on the train from your hotel, get off at Siam Square and walk down the road between Siam Paragon and Siam Centre, past Siam Kepenski hotel, over the canal, to Petchaburi Road, turn right and you can't miss the huge six level Pantip building, full of geekery. It's about a ten minute walk, and you'll pass a lovely garden and might see some squirrels :-) See the water buses zooming up the canal (also great fun to catch). There's lots of clothes and such for mum to browse right outside Pantip Plaza.

Essex
Level Contributor
21 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest market?

Thank you for all your replies, went to MBK and really good :) off to Phuket in the morning!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest market?

Lalaisap is not bad but catered more towards the office workers around Silom. Great just before lunch hour with lots of food and vendors.

The best for a teenage boy would be MBK. If you have time on your return,have a look at Saphan Putt night market.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
300 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest market?

MBK it easy

8. Re: Cheapest market?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17