We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking near Don Mueang

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Walking near Don Mueang

We are arriving in BKK late and will catch transit/connecting bus to DMK for our morning flight to Cambodia. We have booked a hotel, Montri Resort and Spa, that is about a ten minute walk from DMK. Is it safe to walk from DMK to our hotel around 11pm at night?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

I would take a taxi at that time of night, can you change your booking to the Amari hotel which is straight across from the airport via a overhead walkway which leads to the lobby of the hotel .It would be a lot easier than dragging bags up the street. Hope this helps

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

Thanks for that :)

I'm carrying a very light back pack. While the Amari looks convenient I'm not sure I want to pay the extra money over the cheap hotel I booked as I'll only be there for a bit of a sleep before leaving early the next day.

I think that a taxi is a good idea. Do you think that it will annoy them that it is only a 2kms from to the hotel from DMK?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

Hi Alice,

I don't think the taxi driver would kick a fuss about it as he could charge you Bht 50 in airport surcharge in addition to the meter fare.

Within a couple of minutes, he would be able to re-join the queue at the taxi stand to catch a bigger fish.

Travel safely.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 11:55
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

Drivers love short rides. They get the big baht at the 35 baht flag drop.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

The hotel appears to be literally 800ms from T1 but on the west side of Vihavadi-Rangsit rd which makes a big difference as the taxi needs to head south 2kms to do a U-Turn then back north - no possibility to rejoin the airport queue "after a few mins". I'm not sure that I'd agree with the sentiment that taxis drivers will like a short ride from the airport as they don't, after waiting for a while at the airport they want that 200+ fare into the inner city not a 50 baht fare.

You could actually avoid the wait at the AOT taxi stand and use the enclosed pedestrian footbridge (which does to Amari Hotel and DM Railway station) to walk across Vihavadi-Rangsit rd. Take the ramp down to the station and catch a taxi from immediately outside the station (there will be taxis parked there) where you will head south along Kampaeng Phet 6 rd. The station will be staffed at that time and the area is well lit (Amari Hotel is across the rd).

This will not only be much quicker (no wait in the AOT line which can be a long wait sometimes in the late evening, a 800m taxi trip instead of 3-4 kms) but also a little cheaper.

You have the option at least.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

Thanks that is great advice that I will follow!

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely be catching a taxi.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

If you're a real trooper, you could probably catch a motorcycle taxi outside the RR train station.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

I don't think I'll be a real trooper after being in the country only two hours....perhaps on the way back :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking near Don Mueang

The link is well signposted so you should not have any difficulty finding it in T1 (departures level). You can see in this AOT map, (I would think it is more at the northern end of T1 than suggested on the map)

http://donmueangairportthai.com/en/769-map

Also this may give you a better visual idea of what you are doing, http://www.amari.com/donmuang/location.aspx