We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
82 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

I have a very specific question for any Americans who've traveled to Thailand with a Verizon smartphone. I will be bringing my Samsung S4, which Verizon swears is unlocked for use with a new SIM card. Has anyone successfully used their phone with a Thai SIM card? Which carrier did you go with?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

Not sure which Thai carriers offer much in the way of CMDA (Verizon's system).

The most coverage is GSM,

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

If it is one of Verizon's "global phones" it may work.

Checking if the phone is unlocked is fairly easy. Simply pop in a different sim card from another carrier and see if it works.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
82 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

The Galaxy S4 is a global phone, so you can change a setting and operate on the GSM network. I know you can use the phone overseas with factory installed SIM card, but Verizon's international roaming rates are extortionate. From what I've read in forums, using it with a different SIM card is hit or miss and varies by carrier. That's why I was wondering if anyone has this particular phone and has had success with a Thai SIM card.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
909 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

The Verizon Galaxy S4 will work fine in Thailand. Just pop out the Verizon sim in there and put in the new Thai sim. Since the S4 is a global phone, it will work on the GSM networks in Thailand. The only thing you *might* have to do is update the APN setting to get data to work (but just have the representative selling you the sim help with that). Read this post too: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k622…

FYI - As part of Verizon's acquisition of the 700mhz LTE spectrum, Verizon had to agree to sell all of their LTE enabled phones unlocked. I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and have used it numerous times in Thailand without any problems whatsoever. Just buy a sim and pop it in!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
909 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

One more thought - make sure you have updated the operating system in your S4 to Android 4.3 or newer, because I believe earlier versions did not allow you to manually change the APN settings (which, as I mentioned above, you might need to do to get data working).

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
82 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

Thanks for the reply! My phone must be updated, because I'm in Bangkok now and was able to get everything to work! I bought a DTAC SIM at the airport. The person at the booth didn't know to change the mobile network from CDMA to GSM and thought the card wouldn't work on my phone, but once I fixed that she was able to add the APN settings. I haven't actually tried the voice or texting yet, but data works fine! It's super helpful to have Google maps and stuff!

Los Gatos
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

Thanks for the helpful thread! It'll be my first time switching SIM on foreign soil....so please bear with me.

I'm going to Bahgkok for for New Years...i have a verizon S4-I545. Under settings/preferred network mode settings - it appears to have 3 mode settings (Global, LTE/CDMA, and GSM/UMTS). In the states, the factory setting is set to LTE/CDMA.

1) So for clarification, if you'd be so kind, did you have to change this setting or was it auto detect after you swap out the SIM? And if you had to select the setting, which was it?

2) Any incurred cost for roaming after SIM is switched? or other Verizon fees?

3) Did you happen to remember which was the best value place to pick up a Thailand SIM?

Thank you in advance...

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

WorldismyoysterThoma & PhillyJen716 just curious to hear how everything worked out. Can you please give us an update?

Data, calls, texts? Did your phones worked just fine while you were there? How about when you got back & changed the settings back & insert Verizon's Sim card?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. My Verizon phone worked just fine. Make sure to switch to Sim mode and make sure the APN gets updated.

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

Thanks sjshady! Can you please tell me which Verizon phone you have? IPhone or Android? Model?

We're due to upgrade our phone & want to make sure we pick a model that will work :-)