We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic to airport early morning.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic to airport early morning.

I am thinking of booking one night at Mariya Boutique Residence. I fly into Bangkok at about 8.30pm from Brisbane and then out on another Thai Airways (domestic this time) flight to Chiang Rai at 8am.

I don't want to pay the amount being asked for the actual airport hotel (Novotel or one of those chains) so this seems a good alternative. What would the traffic be like if I needed to arrive back at the airport for this flight? What time would I need to leave the hotel?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

I allow 1 1/2 hours at the airport before a domestic flight. I allow a minimum of 1 hour to get to the airport. I would leave the hotel at 0530. If you waited until 0600 and everything went well, you would be ok. I would leave at 0530.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

It depends on the day of the week for traffic. Weekends there is very little traffic early AM. 0600 would certainly be early enough for most any day for an 0800 flight.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

Hi Kameka,

Thai Airways have a connecting flight to Chiang Mai.

Means you can check straight in to your accommodation in Chiang Mai and basically add a day to your holiday.

Gof.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

Ooops,

Just re-read original post and realised Chiang Rai was final destination.

Disregard above post..

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

from the time you hop in taxi, to the airport, might take all of 10 minutes, since you are almost at the airport to begin with. leave an hour for check in, or more, if getting brekkie at airport, meaning you'll be leaving the hotel no later the 6:30, slight margin, just in case. that's more than enough time.

google map says it takes 6 mins to get to airport, 5 minutes without traffic.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/Mariya+Boutique+Residence+At+Suvarnabhumi+Airport,+1627%2F2+Ladkrabang+Road+(between+Soi+Ladkrabang+11+and+13),+Ladkrabang,+Bangkok+10520/Suvarnabhumi+Airport,+999+Bang+Na-Trat+Rd,+Rachathewa,+Bang+Phli+District,+Samut+Prakan+10540/@13.7059784,100.7461816,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x311d67b37ce7b25b:0xe76fa33491412c7a!2m2!1d100.77159!2d13.721959!1m5!1m1!1s0x311d67771542274f:0x120d19554f157a07!2m2!1d100.750112!2d13.689999!3e0

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

Lat Krabang rd does get busy in the morning but city bound,but you'll head eastbound and then turn right towards the airport. It will literally take 10 mins. I'd leave at 6:30-6:45am given that an 8am TG flight means a lot of people doing early morning check in.

Most of Lat Krabang rd is not a such great place to hang out and it is not the most wonderful rd to walk. (If it is a Fri or Sat night don't stay out there too late ie beyond 1am as there are some bike gangs who roam this area and there is a shooting every other month - think of it akin to SW Industrial suburbs in Bris)

However, the hotel is well situated as there are a couple of places you can visit just east of your hotel if you want to explore earlier in the evening, Race 76 is a trendy pub/restaurant with live music which is popular with KMUT uni students and there is a club across the road (forget the name) if that is your scene. Plenty of normal thai restaurants just near the hotel too.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 09:32
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

Thanks- my flight from Brisbane does not get in until 8.20pm. By the time I get through immigration and over to the hotel I am looking at about 9.30pm. I plan to get something simple to eat at the hotel if I am hungry and go to bed. The hotel claims they operate a shuttle to and from the airport.

I have been to Bangkok a number of times before and it really is just a transit stop on the way to Chaing Rai and onto Laos. I had read on the hotel web site that they claimed it was a 10 min trip to the airport but was not sure what traffic would be like in this area early in the morning.

As the connecting flight is operated by Thai Smile Airways for Thai Airway I imagine I will not be able to get both boarding passes her in Brisbane. Do Thai Smile Airways have online check-in? If they do I might just be able to do a bag drop in the morning. Any chance of this happening?

Edited: 29 June 2014, 10:25
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,459 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

Thai Smile is a unit of Thai Airways, so most probably they will in fact issue you boarding passes in Brisbane. Or you could use their web check-in. So if that's the case, I think getting to the airport 1 hour in advance is sufficient, 90 minutes if you have bags to check in.

The hotel really is about 10 minutes from the airport. Make sure you have your transfer booked in advance with the front desk.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

Thanks Bill. I am deliberately booking a place to stay close to the airport. Have also sent an email total Airways office here in Brisbane

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
300 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic to airport early morning.

Mariya Boutique Residence is not far from the airport (30 minutes).

The area has many restaurants. Do not be scared, hungry

However, you should leave the hotel before 6:00.