We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Phew! Thank goodness for the weekend, or else I'd think I won't have the time to prepare Part 4 of my trip report. Many thanks to those who found it useful and entertaining.

Day 4 > Free and easy

Having a good night's sleep certainly did us a lot of good as we woke up bright and early on Day 4 of our Bangkok holiday. Today's excursion would be free-and-easy, and one of the places we wanted to visit was Or Tor Kor Market. We have heard about this market from several travel bloggers, so naturally we wanted to know what the fuss was all about.

We took the BTS from Siam to Mo Chit, which was the doorstep of the famous Chatuchak market. From Mo Chit, we made our way to the Chatuchak Park MRT station for a one-station ride to Kamphaeng Phet. The Or Tor Kor Market is directly next to the station's exit. From various sources, including Ms Pu the day before, we found out that the market had its humble beginning as a agricultural collective. Over the years, Or Tor Kor Market has grown and evolved into a upmarket outdoor food market that's popular with locals and tourists. We found stalls stacked with an incredible range of mouth-watering tropical fruits, extremely fresh and green vegetables, various cuts of meats and succulent seafood. There's even a café corner for those with tired feet to have a rest. We bought some Thai snacks from one of the vendors, which we later found out was coconut pancakes. We also tried Thai sausages. The taste was just out of this world! You really have to try it.

From Or Tor Kor Market, we crossed over to the Chatuchak Market. Unfortunately, as it was a Thursday, 70% of the market was not open for business, except for stalls dealing with books and horticulture. There was also a smattering of shops/stalls which were selling soaps and scented candles. Since it was not crowded, we had an easy time navigating around without bumping into other people. Very slowly, we made our way back to Mo Chit BTS station.

Our next destination was Bangkok's latest shopping hotspot, the Central Embassy Mall. We took the BTS from Mo Chit and got off at Phloen Chit, and basically followed the crowd on the skywalk into the mall. Inside, the place resembled Singapore's ION Orchard, with escalators stretching from one floor to another, and high-end tenants on every floor. The children were getting hunger pangs, so we made our way up to the fourth level where the restaurants were located. To our pleasant surprise, we found Ding Tai Feng sitting nice and pretty. Unlike other the Ding Tai Feng elsewhere, we didn't have to wait an eternity for a table. In fact, the minute we were done selecting our items, we were led to a table by the window. Service was efficient, and our food came very quickly.

With stomachs bursting from a good lunch, we made our back on foot back to our hotel at Siam Square. Along the way, we couldn't help but notice the half-completed walkway from Central Groove to the Siam skywalk. I wonder what will happen to that tree thats in the way? The scorching Bangkok heat once again made a visit to the pool mandatory. As dusk approached, and this being my second last day in Bangkok, I made it a point to take photos of the famous Bangkok sunset. I made my way to the 26th floor of Centara Grand, which gave me a clear view of the last rays of the setting sun. It also gave me a good view of the city as it transits from day to night.

Pictures done, and it was off for a quick dinner. For the wife and children, it was back to the room for luggage packing, but for me, it was off to Saphan Taksin for a boat ride to the Bangkok Hilton, as this was the last night on my trip for a night shoot. The Millennium 360 bar at the top of the Hilton offers a glorious panoramic view of the Chao Phaya river below. Drink prices were however, a touch higher than Zense, but then again, the view more than made up for it. I stayed for as long as I could, and caught the last boat back to Saphan Taksin, and the last scheduled train for the night back to my hotel.

Well, here is the end of Part 4 of my report. Once more, photos of the day's excursion have been uploaded in my flickr page :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124872146@N04/

I'll be back for the final part very soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Hi 253SA,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your JBR - Part 4.

Just wonder what stamina you've got to do so much within so little.

Your photos, like the Thai pancakes & sausages, are quite out of this world & very fascinating indeed. Makes me want to go out to buy a camera & take up photography as a hobby.

One question though: Does one of the photos show some BBQ toads or giant frogs being on sale at a food-stall in the Or Tor Kor Market?

Thanks

Edited: 29 June 2014, 16:36
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Singapore, great report. Lots of good info and also helpful details about the various BTS stops to get you to interesting places. Yes, Chachuchak (sp?) is not open fully until the weekends, and then the hordes descend on the place, so maybe you were better off there on a quiet day... That market you went to with all the food sounds interesting. Glad you got to do your night photography again... Bangkok really is beautiful when it's all lit up at night...

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

hiya Wong, eerrm, I don't quite know what was that on the skewer to be perfectly honest. My palate isn't that adventurous nowadays. And even if I did want to try it, the sausage wouldn't let me because it was big enough to be a meal in itself!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Cooked frogs legs are actually quite delicious!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Hi Skeezix,

Would you be able to discern what those skewered creatures were on the particular photo?

At first I thought they were spring chickens. But seeing those big protruding eyes, I was fairly certain they were of the amphibian kind which is definitely not up my street as far as street-food is concerned.

Thanks.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 05:47
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

wongchinhong.... I tried several times to get at his photos with the thread he suggested and I couldn't get any pictures to open. Too bad as I would like to have seen the pictures!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Hi Skeezix,

You could try copying the link and pasting it on a new web-page.

If it's not happening then try clicking the below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124872146@N04/14532682364/in/photostream/

Good luck.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 05:53
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

No luck. I tried pasting the whole thing into another web page and couldn't get it to come up with the photos. And just clicking on it didn't didn't get any results.

You're just going to have to live with the mystery of what the heck that thing was :) and be glad you didn't eat it! lol...

Edited: 01 July 2014, 14:01
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

SkeezixVancouver

Click on 253SA,new display show

Review 70

Rating 21

Photos 487

Forum 1074

Next click on Photos will reveal acess to those photo with latest date 29/06/14

Hope this the right approach,

Good Luck

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Part 4

Hi,

Thanks "Leomak" for the lead. But that particular photo was not in the archive.

The other way is to highlight :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124872146@N04/

& with mouse on the highlight, do a right click then press

" go to https://www.flickr.com/photos/124872146@N04/ ".

Yes, I've seen the blown-up picture. I can confirm those were BBQ Giant Toads @ Bht 160 each.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 06:42