We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

Finally, here is the concluding part of my Bangkok JBR. Hope you like it.

Day 5 > The long goodbye

It's the final day of our Bangkok holiday, and, like previous occasions, we woke with a twitch of reluctance. We took our time and after a long lazy breakfast, we checked-out of our room. As our flight was in the evening, we deposited our bags with the hotel so that we can still spend the rest of the day in Bangkok.

The children were all excited about "How to train your dragon 2", so we trooped over to the Siam Paragon cinema, located on the 5th level of the mall. As with all things in Bangkok, the cinema lobby was huge. We got our tickets for the late morning show. Before the movie started, everyone in the audience had to stand to attention to the national anthem. The movie was great, to say the least.

After the movie, we had lunch at the Centralworld foodcourt, which was packed full of lunchtime crowd. Unlike other food courts, you don't have to pay for the card upfront. Instead, you collect the card at the entrance, and you let the vendor scan the card each time you make a purchase. Payment is collected as you leave the food court, and you pay the exact amount.

This being a Friday, Centralworld was a hive of activity, most notably the 40th anniversary celebration of Hello Kitty. There was a big crowd of people waiting to take photos with the iconic cartoon character. That done, we had a mid-afternoon snack at the After You cafe, another one of those places mentioned glowingly by travel bloggers. We ordered the cafe's signature Shibuya Ice Cream Toast and one other dessert, which was delicious. To burn off the excess calories, and still with some time on our hands, we did window shopping at the various malls and street stalls along Petchaburi Road.

With dusk settling in, we headed back to our hotel to collect our luggage, but not before one last drink at the Premier Lounge. Then, it was off to the airport on the train, where along the way, we had a long final look at Bangkok. Before we knew it, we were at Changi Airport, waiting for a taxi to take us home.

So there it is, the final part of my Bangkok JBR. Before signing off, here are some of my thoughts :

(a) For those who still harbour that slight bit of concern about the situation in Bangkok, everything is fine in the "City of Life". As long as you are there as a tourist, the only people harassing you are the street touts. Indeed, the only soldiers in uniform we saw in the city were off-duty and busy playing Candy Crush or Angry Birds on their iphones.

(b) Having said that, the tourism sector was hard hit by events of the preceding months, so the hotels, cafes, street vendors, tour guides and everyone related to the industry need your support and patronage.

(c) Forget the malls in Ratchaprasong, but instead, head down to Sampheang Lane in Yaowarat if you want to stretch your dollar/baht to cure that shopping itch.

(d) Good luck if you are in a taxi stuck in Siam Square because the on-going roadworks inside will drive you nuts.

And that's it! My trip report is complete. I've uploaded a last few photos on my Flickr page for your enjoyment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124872146@N04/

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

Hi there

Thanks for your insight and very informative report. Having read all your report sounds like you all have a whale of time.

One thing though if you don't me pointing it out to you. The song before movie start it actually the song for " His Majesty The King" not national Anthem as stated.

Again thanks for your wonderful resort :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

Hi, I've really enjoyed your reports and am sorry that they've finished but glad you enjoyed your trip and hopefully you'll be planning another soon, thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

Thanks sweetpea and Chrella for your feedback. Glad you found my trip report useful. It's my way of paying back to TA after all the help I got from everyone. I can't wait to come back to Bangkok!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

Hi 253SA,

Many thanks for extracting much time to write those wonderful JBRs.

The photos are, again, of sublime quality & a delight for our eyes. We shall await eagerly your next JBRs for Bkk which we hope to be soon. My wife & I are leaving for Bkk next week. And we just might follow some of the paths you & your family have trodden.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

hiya Wong buddy! Hope you and your wife have a great time in Bangkok. Time to let your hair down and just enjoy the sights, sounds, shopping and best of all, the food!

p/s do remember to hydrate yourself regularly as the heat/humidity is terrible

6. Re: Bangkok JBR (16 Jun to 20 Jun) - Conclusion and thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:17