We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

July 4, 2014: This morning, around 10:30 am, me and my wife were taking SARL from Makkasan Station to airport. The ticket officer asked for B70 (B35 each person) and issued 2 tokens. The tokens failed to activate the turnstile for us to exit when we arrived at the airport. We had to top-up another B30 (B15 each) to exit. A lady behind us paid B10 to top-up her token. I think she was local as she grumbled something like it happens often.

How, as a tourist rushing to go home, to avoid the cheat in future. Going to police or returning to Makkasan is out of the question.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

Hi cpt43,

I think you shouldn't jump to conclusion about being cheated in this instance.

That could be a case of electronic or mechanical malfunctioning at the exit. Or it could be a case of genuine mistake by the BTS staff.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 15:41
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

@CPT43

Anyway , it's still cheaper than taxi.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

Seems like a simple mistake to me. Not everything is a scam.

I find the token system to be finicky. Used to hapoento me all the time especially on the MRT.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

Cheated? Unlikely.

50 baht per person to travel to the airport and a possibilty the system may have had a glitch.

We pay nearly 600 baht per person to get a train to our airport.

Wow, it's a little comical really that someone would think of going to the police.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

appears more like a simple mistake, either misunderstood your destination, or simply pushed the wrong key, charging you 35 baht fare, to where ever that was applicable to. since the minimum fare is 15 baht, guessing that was simply added on, as the fare from what and to where previously charged, from that point, to new point of departure. at best, the mistake might of cost you 5 baht.

i believe the fare is 45 baht, but you were charged 2 point to points, incurring a mere 5 baht extra. doubtful a scam, just a mistake. every key stroke is entered into the computer, if the display states 35 baht, that's what the agent has to show as received, and should match distributed tokens.

the same can happen on any other the rail lines, and would image fairly common mistake, though I have yet to encounter it. I have had cards not work, the the guard simply lets you pass thru gate. guessing it was a mistake, but since a tourist, guard realizes that, and simply lets it and us pass..............everyone happy happy.

amazing you even posted such an issue.............more so, i replied to it, but more for others who may experience the same............relax, your on holiday.

good God.........what ever you do, don't take a taxi.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,430 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

...a little over a Singapore $1 ??? Now if thats the worst that happens to me I will be happy.

Tommo

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

"How, as a tourist rushing to go home, to avoid the cheat in future."

walk?

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

Walk?? 10/6

They need u as a walking guide, perhaps!!

I 'll go by taxi to save the hassel of transfer.

Anyway, decision on mode of travel to airport is own

preference.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

The fare as you state from Makkasan to the airport is 35 baht.

If you had to pay 15 baht extra, then obviously you payed 20 baht which is a two station fare ie. either to Phaya Thai or Hua Mark. Perhaps a communication error?

"A lady behind us paid B10 to top-up her token. I think she was local as she grumbled something like it happens often." A local grumbled in Thai that 'this happens often' and you understood her?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Rail Link ticket officer cheats

Could be they have a little scam going at Makkasan if indeed the OP paid 35 baht, which is the correct fare, but only got credited with 20. 15 baht may seem trivial, but do it a hundred times a day and it's big money.