We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Hua Hin

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Hua Hin

Hi folks,

I have read through all the train questions but was wondering if anyone had any recent experience.

We are arriving on the 10th July with my wife and 10 year old son. My wife isn't the best passenger in a car and has some back problems so train is the way for us. Looking at the timetable I can find the express train at 8:05 appears to be the option most favored.

As our flight doesn't get in till 00:15 we are booked into a hotel near the airport, we will sleep a few hours before heading to the station. Is there any way that i can book tickets in advance or will it be easy enough to pay on the day, and what would be the best way to travel to the train station (Hua Lamphong) and how long should i leave for the journey.

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks in advance

Brian

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Hua Hin

A couple of quick pointers before the booking issue...

1) Don't stay at a hotel near the airport, even after a long haul and wanting a quick rest the drive into the inner city will only take 20 mins. Stay at a hotel not too far from the station, that saves some time in the morning. You'll appreciate that decision the next day given proximity to the station.

2) The train takes a nearly 6 hrs which is twice as long as a vehicle. Whatever your wifes back problems are the seats on the train are not going to be anywhere near as comfy as a private taxi car/van AND you'll be spending twice as long travelling. It is a nice trip though.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
780 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Hua Hin

Just on the hotel issue. The advantage of staying near Hualumphong stn is that you can leave the hotel at &;30am in the morn to proceed to the station (perhaps even walk it if close enough) compared with a 6:30am dep from the hotel near the airport. You avoid all of the peak hr stress the next morning.

It is always pref to do the airport into the city trip upon arrival at night rather than the next morning during peak hr.

If you do keep your airport hotel booking the suggestion is the ARL & MRT combo, baggage permitting

bts.co.th/customer/…02-route-current_new.aspx

Many people also take the train from Bang Sue station in the mid north which allows for a little more time (nearly 30 mins)

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Hua Hin

We've taken a train to HH and it ws almost 4 hours w/stops but it was delayed leaving BKK. I have no idea where you got 6 hours, yappofloyd. Our train was not particularly comfortable but on our return and subsequent trips we've had Mr Roong drive us in a very comfy sedan--even picked up at BKK and taken direct to hotel. It took almost 3 hours w/traffic. If your wife can tolerate an hour taxi to station and 4+ to HH on a train, she should be able to tolerate a car? Car service is pick up at arrivals and in HH less than 4 hours in comfort. There is little traffic after 1 am (we usually arrive around same time on DL flights from States--very tired, too!)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Hua Hin

Yappofloyd,

Thanks for the speedy response it is much appreciated. The hotel advice does make sense especially as rush hour appears to start a bit earlier than the UK. Since my question earlier i have had an email from Qatar airways advising my flight times have changed. This means i will be in Doha another 8 hrs which is fine as i was booked into a hotel anyway and gives some time to explore. This has us coming into BKK at 07:30 which means i don't need the hotel that i booked which was a free cancellation.

As the express train departs at 08:05 which incidentally has times as being around 3hrs 30 min to Hua Hin i will not make this so plan B is now to get a decent car as you suggest.

Thanks for your help

Brian

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Hua Hin

Kyshel,

Thanks for the reply and yes i have managed to convince my wife that a car is the way to go. Our idea with the train was that she could get up and walk around which helps but there is too many obstacles to overcome especially with our flight times changing which prevents the faster express train option. Mr Roong is a name that crops up quite a bit so i will definitely explore this option.

I still like the idea of a train but will probably do it to explore more when we are in Hua Hin.

Thanks for your help

Brian

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Hua Hin

Brian, I think you've chose wisely. It's about $65 US one way to HH from BKK w/pickup service. We usually have a nice passenger sedan for 4. If your wife is a bit squirmy, have the driver stop about halfway--or you can arrange a tourist stop on the way and she can enjoy an hour respite (extra charge, of course). I don't care much for front seats unless I'm driving, so I suggest the back for her. I don't know where you'd want to take train around HH, but you can find some good/friendly reasonable tuk tuks for short trips to places like winery, monkey mountain, etc. Lots more experts for HH than I will ever be. Cheers--enjoy your trip!

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Hua Hin

There is a VIP bus service direct from Suvarnabhumi airport down to Hua Hin which I use on a regular basis...costs 308 baht each way and takes just over 3 1/2 hours.It is a 24 seater with ample leg room and importantly the driver doesn't drive like a man with a death wish.Head down to level 1 then walk down to the very last gatel(Gate 8).Book on line is the way to go...

http://www.airporthuahinbus.com/

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Hua Hin

We took the train last week to Hua Hin, wanting the full experience we went 3rd class. Leaving BBK at 1 pm we landed at about 17.45 some 1h30min late. But it's Thai time so enjoy. By the sound of your wife's back I would suggest 2nd class seats. They are spacious and reasonably comfortable.

I would also go with the suggestion of traveling into BBK the night before, it will be quicker due to lack of traffic and give a better start to your day.

For train times see seat61.com/…Bangkok_to_Southern_Thailand Which will give you times and prices. Train travel is somewhat sedate shall we say but very cheep. Whereas the taxis will pull any stroke for a Bart.

Enjoy

9. Re: Train to Hua Hin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 13:37
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Hua Hin

Thanks Kyshel for the info I am on the case now.

I liked your first choice about heading to the winery starting to think you know me and my Mrs from a previous life as I had already pencilled that one in :)

All the best

Brian